From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain on
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:11:41 +0100
Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'd say let's designate a post Python Community Jester, or PCJ for
> short, let's name Xah Lee the PCJ and make it clear that he can engage
> in his activities on c.l.p and #python as he wishes without
> retribution and fear, and nobody should really bother him. The only

Are you sure you aren't lobbying for the position for yourself? I
think you have a shot based on this proposal.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(a)druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:57:13 +0100, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:

> having a single c.l.p clown is tolerable if it makes him happy.

Why should we care about his happiness if it comes at the expense of the
happiness of hundreds of other people?

I mean, if he decided that his happiness was best satisfied by following
you home one day and smashing all your windows and pouring tar all over
your furniture and smearing excrement over your clothes, should we
tolerate that because it makes him happy?

And later, in another post:

> A village clown is tolerated in the purest form of the word 'tolerance'
> by nor wishing him to change. Let him be the clown, let everybody
> accept him as such, including all the annoyance and weird behavior.

Why should we? What's in it for us?

> Hoping for someone to change is the same as assigning him to a
> correctional facility.

That's a ridiculous comparison, which could only have been spoken to
somebody who has never been in prison. You trivialise the problem of the
punishment society by equating it to expecting a modicum of polite
behaviour in public.

> I'd say let's designate a post Python Community Jester, or PCJ for
> short, let's name Xah Lee the PCJ and make it clear that he can engage
> in his activities on c.l.p and #python as he wishes without
> retribution and fear, and nobody should really bother him. The only
> people should do who don't like him is ignoring him. What is very
> important is that there can be only one PCJ and everybody else with
> objectionable behavior will be banned, blacklisted, etc. with the full
> force of available methods.

Why should Xah Lee get special treatment? If other anti-social nuisances
and trolls are banned, why should he get the privilege of being tolerated
no matter what he does?

What is so special about Xah Lee that he gets carte blanche permission to
be as obnoxious as he wants, while everyone else has to follow the rules
of polite society?

--
Steven
From: John Bokma on
Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson(a)googlemail.com> writes:

> One more thing:

Yeah, one more thing: since you are all for a better community why not
reply without quoting the entire message? Just quote enough to
provide some decent context.

Xah is just a spammer. It amazes me how often people want to step in the
role of Xah's sockpuppet.

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
Steve Holden wrote:
> Shashwat Anand wrote:
>
>> LOL
>> pow(funny, sys.maxint)
>>

> Yes, funny, but it overlooks the point that Xah is a nuisance to
> multiple communities, not just to ours, and quite often concurrently.
>
> I'm all in favor of tolerance, but I'd like to see some evidence that
> rehabilitation is practical before the community has to tolerate too
> much of that kind of nonsense.
>
> regards
> Steve

Actually for one Xah post I get, I then get 20 mails complaining about
him. The fact is, for someone like me who subscribed only to the python
list (what's the purpose of subscribing the perl list when you know
about python existence btw :o) ), the real annoying spam comes from the
complains, not Xah. Speaking for myself, I may get 3 or 4 posts from Xah
a month at most. Something I can live with.

So guys, just ignore him if you don't like him. Mailers & news readers
have plenty of feature to make it happen.

Adding my contribution to complains...

JM

From: MRAB on
Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>> Shashwat Anand wrote:
>>
>>> LOL
>>> pow(funny, sys.maxint)
>>>

>> Yes, funny, but it overlooks the point that Xah is a nuisance to
>> multiple communities, not just to ours, and quite often concurrently.
>>
>> I'm all in favor of tolerance, but I'd like to see some evidence that
>> rehabilitation is practical before the community has to tolerate too
>> much of that kind of nonsense.
>>
>> regards
>> Steve
>>
> Actually for one Xah post I get, I then get 20 mails complaining about
> him. The fact is, for someone like me who subscribed only to the python
> list (what's the purpose of subscribing the perl list when you know
> about python existence btw :o) ), the real annoying spam comes from the
> complains, not Xah. Speaking for myself, I may get 3 or 4 posts from Xah
> a month at most. Something I can live with.
>
> So guys, just ignore him if you don't like him. Mailers & news readers
> have plenty of feature to make it happen.
>
> Adding my contribution to complains...

Alternatively, add [XAH] to the subject in the replies so that they can
be filtered out easily. :-)