From: Wietse Venema on
Daniel L'Hommedieu:
> > If all you want is treat anything.example.com as example.com, use:
> >
> > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> > mydestination = localhost example.com pcre:/etc/postfix/mydestination.pcre
> >
> > /etc/postfix/mydestination.pcre:
> > /\.example\.com$/ whatever
> >
> > Where "whatever" may be any non-empty value.
> >
> > By design, Postfix *internals* do not depend on DNS, so that Postfix
> > keeps working when the network is down.
>
> Wietse,
>
> I think this is the piece I was missing. My hosts are named as
> hostname.department.example.com. I am building a mail catcher
> for my department, so I want my Postfix to accept mail for
> *@*.department.example.com, and this PCRE is exactly what I was
> missing. As I mentioned, I figured it had to be something simple.
>
> More specifically, what I want is something that will catch
> root@*.department.example.com, so that the guy who runs the
> corporate mail server doesn't get frustrated with the double-bounces
> that my department's applications generate. If I can stay off of
> his radar, I am doing good, and this mail catcher will help me do
> that.

To fix the problem at its root, configure the machines so they
send mail as user(a)example.com not user(a)host.example.com.

Wietse

From: Daniel L'Hommedieu on
On Mar 24, 2010, at 17:14, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Daniel L'Hommedieu:
>>> If all you want is treat anything.example.com as example.com, use:
>>>
>>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>>> mydestination = localhost example.com pcre:/etc/postfix/mydestination.pcre
>>>
>>> /etc/postfix/mydestination.pcre:
>>> /\.example\.com$/ whatever
>>>
>>> Where "whatever" may be any non-empty value.
>>>
>>> By design, Postfix *internals* do not depend on DNS, so that Postfix
>>> keeps working when the network is down.
>>
>> Wietse,
>>
>> I think this is the piece I was missing. My hosts are named as
>> hostname.department.example.com. I am building a mail catcher
>> for my department, so I want my Postfix to accept mail for
>> *@*.department.example.com, and this PCRE is exactly what I was
>> missing. As I mentioned, I figured it had to be something simple.
>>
>> More specifically, what I want is something that will catch
>> root@*.department.example.com, so that the guy who runs the
>> corporate mail server doesn't get frustrated with the double-bounces
>> that my department's applications generate. If I can stay off of
>> his radar, I am doing good, and this mail catcher will help me do
>> that.
>
> To fix the problem at its root, configure the machines so they
> send mail as user(a)example.com not user(a)host.example.com.

Wietse,

Thanks for the suggestion, but for reasons I'm not going to bother getting into here, this is not a practical solution for us.

My real reason for writing again is to ask about PCRE support in Postfix. I have read the short PCRE README at http://www.postfix.org/PCRE_README.html, but it doesn't specifically answer this question, or maybe I am not understanding it: is PCRE supported (in Postfix) anywhere that a map would be used? I'm guessing that it is, but I am having trouble finding documentation of that.

Thanks.

Daniel
From: Wietse Venema on
Daniel L'Hommedieu:
> My real reason for writing again is to ask about PCRE support in
> Postfix. I have read the short PCRE README at
> http://www.postfix.org/PCRE_README.html, but it doesn't specifically
> answer this question, or maybe I am not understanding it: is PCRE
> supported (in Postfix) anywhere that a map would be used? I'm
> guessing that it is, but I am having trouble finding documentation
> of that.

See http://www.postfix.org/DATABASE_README.html

Wietse