From: Chuck Taylor on
in chapter 12 of pickaxe in the tutthreads_10.rb example there is a line

threads.each(&:join)

that appears to be doing what you would expect from the line

threads.each {|t| t.join}

I'm wondering if anyone could point me at a more general description of
how this bit of code is doing something like turning a symbol into a
code block? (this is totally a guess on my part)

Thanks for any light that you can shed on the matter.

-chuck

From: Brian Candler on
Chuck Taylor wrote:
> in chapter 12 of pickaxe in the tutthreads_10.rb example there is a line
>
> threads.each(&:join)
>
> that appears to be doing what you would expect from the line
>
> threads.each {|t| t.join}
>
> I'm wondering if anyone could point me at a more general description of
> how this bit of code is doing something like turning a symbol into a
> code block? (this is totally a guess on my part)

You're right, and Symbol#to_proc is what to Google for to get the full
details.

http://pragdave.pragprog.com/pragdave/2005/11/symbolto_proc.html