From: JIMMIE on
Is it practical to replace the radio chip in a Linksys WRT54GS version
2 router. I have acquired two that were fried from running the power
set too high. Rest of the router works OK and they are running DD WRT
firmware. Setup shows transmit was set to max on both routers.

Jimmie
From: atec 77 "atec on
JIMMIE wrote:
> Is it practical to replace the radio chip in a Linksys WRT54GS version
> 2 router. I have acquired two that were fried from running the power
> set too high. Rest of the router works OK and they are running DD WRT
> firmware. Setup shows transmit was set to max on both routers.
>
> Jimmie
considering the new price it's possible but uneconomical
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:27:36 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE <jimmie68(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Is it practical to replace the radio chip in a Linksys WRT54GS version
>2 router. I have acquired two that were fried from running the power
>set too high. Rest of the router works OK and they are running DD WRT
>firmware. Setup shows transmit was set to max on both routers.

Try resetting the firmware to defaults before you attack. Miracles
are often useful.

The power amp is mostly likely blown. 250mw out will not hurt the
power amp at room temperature, but will fry the chip with a high
ambient temperature or if air circulation is somehow blocked. At
250mw out, the chip dissipates about 1.5 watts. At 50C/watt, the case
will run at:
T = 25C + (1.5watts * 40C/watt) = 100C
That's rather hot.

I've replaced 2 of these chips with 50% success. The first, I
attempted with a soldering iron and solder wick. I trashed the board.
The 2nd I did with a hot air soldering iron, which was both easier and
worked just fine.

I'm not sure which chip is used in the version 2 hardware. My
guess(tm) is a SiGe 252x chip such as:
<http://www.sige.com/uploads/datasheets/192-DST-01_SiGe_SE2523BU_Datasheet_Rev_1p3_AP_May-26-2009.pdf>
I have a v2 in my palatial office and can check the chip number if
necessary. You'll have to open up your router anyway, so you might as
well do the part number research yourself.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, JIMMIE
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Is it practical to replace the radio chip in a Linksys WRT54GS version
> 2 router.

Some routers used to have MiniPCI cards with the radio on, in which case
it's eminently possible. I'm not sure if that model was one of them,
however.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
19:48:08 up 3 days, 22:49, 5 users, load average: 0.07, 0.57, 0.76

From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:48:47 +0000, alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, JIMMIE
>chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> Is it practical to replace the radio chip in a Linksys WRT54GS version
>> 2 router.
>
>Some routers used to have MiniPCI cards with the radio on, in which case
>it's eminently possible. I'm not sure if that model was one of them,
>however.

Hardware v1.0 and 1.1 have a MiniPCI RF card inside. All the other
mutations have the wireless devices on the main board, usually buried
under a metal shield.

Random photos:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/wrt54g>