From: Nellinux on
I have a notebook Asus with Slackware 13 whith the wireless network
adapter AR9285.

With my old laptop I used wpa_supplicant with the normal Slackware
12.2 NIC PV's activation chain (rc.inet1 -> rc.wireless).

With the Asus, wpa_supplicant works if I run it from command line
with:

wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

but the automatic chain does not works.

I investigated and found as follows:

- rc.inet1 calls rc.wireless with wlan0 interface name (correctly)

- /proc/net/wireless does not list the interface wlan0, then:
> the function "is_wireless_device" returns 1 rather than 0;
> rc.wireless stops.

So, wpa_supplicant is not executed and wlan0 is not linked with the
access point, though rc.inet1 actives wlan0 IP.

I have the unmodified PV's rc.wireless.conf and kernel 2.6.33.1 (from
Current) instead of 2.6.29.6, due to bugged driver for Ethernet
controller Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132.

Any idea to solve it ?

Thanks.

Nellinux
From: Rinaldi J. Montessi on
Nellinux wrote:
> I have a notebook Asus with Slackware 13 whith the wireless network
> adapter AR9285.
>
> With my old laptop I used wpa_supplicant with the normal Slackware
> 12.2 NIC PV's activation chain (rc.inet1 -> rc.wireless).
>
> With the Asus, wpa_supplicant works if I run it from command line
> with:
>
> wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> but the automatic chain does not works.
>
> I investigated and found as follows:
>
> - rc.inet1 calls rc.wireless with wlan0 interface name (correctly)
>
> - /proc/net/wireless does not list the interface wlan0, then:
> > the function "is_wireless_device" returns 1 rather than 0;
> > rc.wireless stops.
>
> So, wpa_supplicant is not executed and wlan0 is not linked with the
> access point, though rc.inet1 actives wlan0 IP.
>
> I have the unmodified PV's rc.wireless.conf and kernel 2.6.33.1 (from
> Current) instead of 2.6.29.6, due to bugged driver for Ethernet
> controller Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132.
>
> Any idea to solve it ?

What happens if you run wicd-curses?

--
-Rinaldi-
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
From: Eric Hameleers on
Nellinux schreef:
> I have a notebook Asus with Slackware 13 whith the wireless network
> adapter AR9285.
>
> With my old laptop I used wpa_supplicant with the normal Slackware
> 12.2 NIC PV's activation chain (rc.inet1 -> rc.wireless).
>
> With the Asus, wpa_supplicant works if I run it from command line
> with:
>
> wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> but the automatic chain does not works.
>
> I investigated and found as follows:
>
> - rc.inet1 calls rc.wireless with wlan0 interface name (correctly)
>
> - /proc/net/wireless does not list the interface wlan0, then:
> > the function "is_wireless_device" returns 1 rather than 0;
> > rc.wireless stops.
>
> So, wpa_supplicant is not executed and wlan0 is not linked with the
> access point, though rc.inet1 actives wlan0 IP.
>
> I have the unmodified PV's rc.wireless.conf and kernel 2.6.33.1 (from
> Current) instead of 2.6.29.6, due to bugged driver for Ethernet
> controller Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132.
>
> Any idea to solve it ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nellinux

Upgrade to Slackware 13.1 when it is released - the rc.wireless script
now uses /sys/class/net/wlan0/wireless instead which does work.

Eric
From: Martin on
Nellinux wrote:

> I have a notebook Asus with Slackware 13 whith the wireless network
> adapter AR9285.
[...]
> Any idea to solve it ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nellinux

I got an Asus laptop with the same chip to work only recently. I completely
abandoned the use of rc.wireless. If you want the details of my setup just
goto

http://www.frogge.de/pepper/p50ij/p50ij.html#wlan

Martin

From: john on
On May 15, 5:38 pm, Martin <n...(a)spam.invalid> wrote:
> Nellinux wrote:
> > I have a notebook Asus with Slackware 13 whith the wireless network
> > adapter AR9285.
> [...]
> > Any idea to solve it ?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> >   Nellinux
>
> I got an Asus laptop with the same chip to work only recently. I completely
> abandoned the use of rc.wireless. If you want the details of my setup just
> goto
>
> http://www.frogge.de/pepper/p50ij/p50ij.html#wlan
>
> Martin
I run on Slack 13 on my desktop. On my 64 bit HP laptop I had the
wireless connection upon slack 13 but it quit for no good reason one
day. After lots of conversation and fiddling I installed Knoppix on
the hard disk. That one works.

When I start seeing glowing reports on the wireless connection on 13.1
I may switch back. But my inclination is to stay with what works.

John Culleton