From: Paul E. McKenney on
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:15:08AM +0100, David Howells wrote:
> Paul E. McKenney <paulmck(a)linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > +void rcu_scheduler_starting(void)
> > +{
> > + WARN_ON(nr_context_switches() > 0);
> > + rcu_scheduler_active = 1;
> > +}
>
> Since rcu_scheduler_active is a global variable, does it make sense to make
> this an inline function in the header file?

Unfortunately, nr_context_switches() put me in #include hell when I
tried that.

> It looks decidedly odd in its own include file as you've done it. Wouldn't
> the right way to do this be to split it into its own .c file and conditionally
> compile it in the Makefile?

It will soon have lots of company, as this is where the plugins
for CONFIG_TINY_PREEMPT_RCU will go. In other words, kernel/rcutiny.c
will have the same relationship to kernel/rcutiny_plugin.h that
kernel/rcutree.c has with kernel/rcutree_plugin.h.

Thanx, Paul