From: Giuseppe CAVALLARO on
Hello!
this function was removed in the past but I've not clear all the details.
While testing LLTng, I wrote the patch, in attachment, that re-adds it
again.
The clocksource_get_next returns the first clock source available
(without looking at the rating).
In my environment, a clock source is a TMU channel (e.g. TMU1) and,
indeed, clocksource_get_next works fine.

Let me know if it makes sense or if I'm missing something.

Best Regards,
Giuseppe
From: john stultz on
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Giuseppe CAVALLARO
<peppe.cavallaro(a)st.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> this function was removed in the past but I've not clear all the details.
> While testing LLTng, I wrote the patch, in attachment, that re-adds it
> again.
> The clocksource_get_next returns the first clock source available
> (without looking at the rating).
> In my environment, a clock source is a TMU channel (e.g. TMU1) and,
> indeed, clocksource_get_next works fine.

Could you provide some more details as to why you need raw access to
the clocksource, instead of using something like ktime_get(),
getrawmonotonic() or sched_clock()?

thanks
-john
From: Giuseppe CAVALLARO on
From: john stultz on
On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:02 +0200, Giuseppe CAVALLARO wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> john stultz wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Giuseppe CAVALLARO
> > <peppe.cavallaro(a)st.com> wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >> this function was removed in the past but I've not clear all the details.
> >> While testing LLTng, I wrote the patch, in attachment, that re-adds it
> >> again.
> >> The clocksource_get_next returns the first clock source available
> >> (without looking at the rating).
> >> In my environment, a clock source is a TMU channel (e.g. TMU1) and,
> >> indeed, clocksource_get_next works fine.
> >
> > Could you provide some more details as to why you need raw access to
> > the clocksource, instead of using something like ktime_get(),
> > getrawmonotonic() or sched_clock()?
>
> I wanted to directly read the value of the TCNT register of a TMU
> channel registered as clocksource in an SH platform.
> My idea was to get the first clocksource available and than use the read
> hook to get its raw value.
> Indeed, on SH4, the clocksource_get_next returns the TMU channel 1
> (usually registered as clocksource); the clk->reads points to
> sh_tmu_clocksource_read (drivers/clocksource/sh_tmu.c). This returns the
> value of the timer count register (TCNT).

If you specifically want the function sh_tmu_clocksource_read(), why not
call it directly instead of indirecting through the clocksource
infrastructure?

Additionally, since the clocksource code is dynamic, you might get a
different clocksource then you expect (such as jiffies) depending on
user config or user actions.

So I'd advise against using the clocksource code here.

thanks
-john

From: Giuseppe CAVALLARO on

On 04/12/2010 08:50 PM, john stultz wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:02 +0200, Giuseppe CAVALLARO wrote:
>>
>> Hello John,
>>
>> john stultz wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you provide some more details as to why you need raw access to
>>> the clocksource, instead of using something like ktime_get(),
>>> getrawmonotonic() or sched_clock()?
>>
>> I wanted to directly read the value of the TCNT register of a TMU
>> channel registered as clocksource in an SH platform.
>> My idea was to get the first clocksource available and than use the read
>> hook to get its raw value.
>> Indeed, on SH4, the clocksource_get_next returns the TMU channel 1
>> (usually registered as clocksource); the clk->reads points to
>> sh_tmu_clocksource_read (drivers/clocksource/sh_tmu.c). This returns the
>> value of the timer count register (TCNT).
>
> If you specifically want the function sh_tmu_clocksource_read(), why not
> call it directly instead of indirecting through the clocksource
> infrastructure?
>
> Additionally, since the clocksource code is dynamic, you might get a
> different clocksource then you expect (such as jiffies) depending on
> user config or user actions.
>
> So I'd advise against using the clocksource code here.

This means I should export the sh_tmu_clocksource_read (currently
static) and don't pass for the clocksource code at all.

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

Best Regards,
Giuseppe