From: Jeff Boyce on
Using Access 2007.

If I have one instance of Access already opened to database#1, then
attempt to open another Access db (database#2), I get "Permission Denied".
This happens whether I try to Shell out to it, or try using Windows Explorer
to open it.

Now the twist! If I start db#1, then try to start db#3, it works!

There's something about db#2 that makes the Shell command believe that
opening it isn't allowed.

Now the second twist!! After clicking through the "Permission Denied" error
msg, db#2 STILL OPENS! It doesn't do what it's supposed to do (run the code
behind the splash form that opens), but the splash form is opened.

Anybody run across this? I haven't been able to spot what's happening (or
what's different) using the Process Monitor...

Thanks!

Jeff Boyce

From: Jeff Boyce on
Cancel that ... I found the post "hiding" beneath another with the same

I didn't realize that the 'group consolidated all posts with the same
subject under the first one to use that subject text. ... or maybe I was
just clumsy...

Now for a little testing (heh, heh, heh).

Jeff B.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 09:29:39 -0700, "Jeff Boyce" <nonsense(a)nonsense.com> wrote:

>I didn't realize that the 'group consolidated all posts with the same
>subject under the first one to use that subject text.

It's not the group, it's the newsreader. Some use the subject, some (more
properly) use the message ID.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Jeff Boyce on
I'll re-open this one ... the problem I'm seeing here in the newsgroups due
to OE consolidation may not be affecting others...

I've isolated the point at which the "Permissions denied" error pops up to a
FileCopy command. I tried several variations, including hard-coding
filenames, but all failed.

When I checked the folder-level permissions, imagine my surprise to see that
my PC's folders were marked Read-Only. When did that happen?!? I haven't
had that problem/situation before?!?

I have a call into my agency's Help Desk, so expect to see a post with my
solution back here in a week or two...<just a joke, guys, in case you're
reading this ...>

Regards

Jeff Boyce

From: Jeff Boyce on
Got a response from the HELP Desk ... they walked away mumbling something
about 'bare metal' and 'rebuild'... (NOOOOOOO!, not that!)

Another responder took a look and said "no way, no rebuild needed" and
wandered off with a copy of the code, to see if she could replicate the
issue.

I'm going with door #2!

Jeff