From: Chris Rebert on
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Hvidberg, Martin <mhv(a)dmu.dk> wrote:
> I'm looking for at way to read (and later write) small simple .xml file from
> Python.
>
> e.g. I would like to read the following from a small ini.xml file into a
> dictionary.
>

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <initialisation>
>  <idrectory>default</idrectory>
>  <nosplit>False</nosplit>
>  <nobatch>False</nobatch>
>  <ubmmode>UBMlight</ubmmode>
>  <overwrite_output>True</overwrite_output>
> </initialisation>
>
> I would prefer a relative simple (not too much creating new classes) way to
> do this.

from xml.etree.ElementTree import ElementTree
tree = ElementTree()
tree.parse("ini.xml")
as_dictionary = dict((child.tag, child.text) for child in tree.getchildren())

Writing is left as an exercise for another poster.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Philip Semanchuk on

On May 11, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Hvidberg, Martin wrote:

> I'm looking for at way to read (and later write) small simple .xml
> file from Python.
>
> e.g. I would like to read the following from a small ini.xml file
> into a dictionary.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <initialisation>
> <idrectory>default</idrectory>
> <nosplit>False</nosplit>
> <nobatch>False</nobatch>
> <ubmmode>UBMlight</ubmmode>
> <overwrite_output>True</overwrite_output>
> </initialisation>
> I would prefer a relative simple (not too much creating new classes)
> way to do this.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

Hej Martin,
Did you look in the standard library? ElementTree in the XML section
of the standard library will do what you want. There are several other
choices there if you don't like that.

bye
Philip