From: Francis Glassborow on
Nick Hounsome wrote:
> On Jan 8, 1:39 pm, leonleon77 <leonleo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Firstly the type is "unsigned char" not "unsigned very short int" and
> char is short for character so I would expect a character to be output
> not an integer.

An interesting assertion. However arithmetic operations on characters
would be largely meaningless. In both C and C++ the various char types
are integer types and mostly behave that way unless they are used in a
context where characters would make sense. IOWs the interpretation of
the values stored in char types is context dependant.