From: dpb on
Uno wrote:

> But every implementation we talk about around here associates a greater
> integer with increased width in the representation, right?
>
> It seems like low-hanging fruit for a good idea to make standard next
> time around.

For what purpose, pray???

From: Richard Maine on
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

> Uno wrote:
>
> > But every implementation we talk about around here associates a greater
> > integer with increased width in the representation, right?
> >
> > It seems like low-hanging fruit for a good idea to make standard next
> > time around.
>
> For what purpose, pray???

Indeed, I prefer exactly the opposite direction, though I'm afraid it is
too late now. Kinds should not be identified numerically at all, which
would avoid the whole matter. Any miniscule potential benefit from
having kind identifiers be numeric is more than overwhelmed by the
ubiquitous confusions about what the numbers mean.

In addition to people who assume that kind numbers must somehow relate
to a byte size, we have things like people using kind numbers from
selected_real_kind on integers and thinking that somehow makes them
reals. Basically, kind values mean nothing according to the standard.
Just like unit numbers. They are simply identifiers.

If one is going to have everything identified by integers, we might as
well get rid of variable names, too. We could just have every variable
be numbered instead of named.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: dpb on
Richard Maine wrote:

> If one is going to have everything identified by integers, we might as
> well get rid of variable names, too. We could just have every variable
> be numbered instead of named.

Indeed...(chuckles)

From: Ian on
The following is a paper that I've found useful.

http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/1170000/1165766/p24-mashey.pdf?key1=1165766&key2=9318464721&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE&CFID=91367362&CFTOKEN=13731300

The following is also worth a look.

http://www.unix.org/version2/whatsnew/lp64_wp.html

Hope these help.

Ian Chivers

From: Uno on
Richard Maine wrote:
> dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:
>
>> Uno wrote:
>>
>>> But every implementation we talk about around here associates a greater
>>> integer with increased width in the representation, right?
>>>
>>> It seems like low-hanging fruit for a good idea to make standard next
>>> time around.
>> For what purpose, pray???

I don't know. It sounded good until I said it.

> Indeed, I prefer exactly the opposite direction, though I'm afraid it is
> too late now. Kinds should not be identified numerically at all, which
> would avoid the whole matter. Any miniscule potential benefit from
> having kind identifiers be numeric is more than overwhelmed by the
> ubiquitous confusions about what the numbers mean.

What would serve as a way to indicate failure?

> In addition to people who assume that kind numbers must somehow relate
> to a byte size, we have things like people using kind numbers from
> selected_real_kind on integers and thinking that somehow makes them
> reals. Basically, kind values mean nothing according to the standard.
> Just like unit numbers. They are simply identifiers.
>
> If one is going to have everything identified by integers, we might as
> well get rid of variable names, too. We could just have every variable
> be numbered instead of named.

I wanted to ask this back in the thread with the hollerith constants,
where the scheme was somewhat dependent on having a 4-byte integer.

Is there a portable to ask for one with a call to selected_int_kind?

I think with gfortran you ask for integer*4, but I thought these weren't
portable.
--
Uno