From: Mick on
I read the recent info on Melodyne DNA and decided to try it out. I was
amazed like the other OP by what it can do, but I am wondering about
something. In one of its modes, called the Note Assignment Tool, Melodyne
replaces all of the original wav with it's own synth interpretation. Even
though it sounds pretty cheesy (which is after all expected since this isn't
the program's primary purpose), it is still adjustable for some surprisingly
accurate reproduction of the original file. Therein lies the question I
have: is there a program designed to take a wave file and as accurately as
possible convert it into instruments of choice? If Melodyne is doing this
as a secondary task, there must be programs out there that have the sole
purpose of accurate conversion.

I used to use a program called I believe Camelion 5000 that could take a
wave file and convert it to digital tones, but for poly stuff it didn't work
very well. I've been on the lookout for something better for quite some
time.

Thanks,
Mick