From: Don on
Hello, I have a client that has a company laptop, and he has forgotten
his password. Now the laptop was part of an old business with a domain
that no longer exists. What can I do to recover the password. I have
access to the local admin account, but not the domain admin account on
the laptop.

Domain was with a sbs 2003 machine.
From: Dusko Savatovic on
You cannot recover domain password without a domain controller.

If you have access to the local admin account, you can unjoin computer from
the domain. Then create a local user account and let the owner use this new
local account.

From: Susan Bradley on
Don wrote:
> Hello, I have a client that has a company laptop, and he has forgotten
> his password. Now the laptop was part of an old business with a domain
> that no longer exists. What can I do to recover the password. I have
> access to the local admin account, but not the domain admin account on
> the laptop.
>
> Domain was with a sbs 2003 machine.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor:
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/main.html

From: Susan Bradley on
Dusko Savatovic wrote:
> You cannot recover domain password without a domain controller.
>
> If you have access to the local admin account, you can unjoin computer
> from the domain. Then create a local user account and let the owner
> use this new local account.
>

> "Don" <donald7.44(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I have a client that has a company laptop, and he has
>> forgotten his password. Now the laptop was part of an old business
>> with a domain that no longer exists. What can I do to recover the
>> password. I have access to the local admin account, but not the
>> domain admin account on the laptop.
>>
>> Domain was with a sbs 2003 machine.

Or the duh answer I didn't even think of until this morning. Go to the
DC, reset the password for his account. Problem solved.
From: Jim on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:05:18 -0800, Susan Bradley
<sbradcpa(a)pacbell.net> wrote:

>Dusko Savatovic wrote:
>> You cannot recover domain password without a domain controller.
>>
>> If you have access to the local admin account, you can unjoin computer
>> from the domain. Then create a local user account and let the owner
>> use this new local account.
>>

>> "Don" <donald7.44(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello, I have a client that has a company laptop, and he has
>>> forgotten his password. Now the laptop was part of an old business
>>> with a domain that no longer exists. What can I do to recover the
>>> password. I have access to the local admin account, but not the
>>> domain admin account on the laptop.
>>>
>>> Domain was with a sbs 2003 machine.
>>
>Or the duh answer I didn't even think of until this morning. Go to the
>DC, reset the password for his account. Problem solved.

Not really a duh answer Susan. The OP says it's a domain that no
longer exists, so he's using cached credentials for an old domain.

I'm not sure there's a solution, since all the standard password
recovery tools work on a local account.