From: --CELKO-- on
>> That solution can be correct in some situations. But I don't think that it is very interesting in the context of addresses. For instance, it may be of interest to know that Olof Palmes Gata once was Tunnelgatan so that old references can be resolved, but it's probably not very interesting to know when that happened. <<

Look up "Underground Atlanta in another one of my posts for really
strange stuff :)

>> the entire Tunnelgatan was not renamed, only the part west of Sveavägen was. The small street east of Sveavägen that leads to the tunnel is still Tunnelgatan. <<

Parts of Peachtree Street in Atlanta are much worse. We LITERALLY
buried old street sections after the War Between the States under
viaducts. Then we re-named for ~23 local neighborhood heroes years
later.

This is why you use a Civil Engineering number and a history table to
reference each block of contiguous roadwork. You have furniture older
than my country in your house; how do you do Civil Engineering?

From: --CELKO-- on
>> you would use the following SQL to determine the current street name from either the current street name or any previous street names. <<

I like that one, but I get scared by a thing we had in Atlanta where
there were 43 "Peachtree Street" designations in 1996 for the
Olympics; no idea what the count is today. You need a Civil
Engineering number as an identifier, which is what I called the
"street_code" in my skeleton DDL.

Parts of Atlanta are built on top of old parts of Atlanta -- Google
"Underground Atlanta"; the original streets are on to of the old
street.

I worked for the Georgia State Highway Department in my youth :)