From: Simon Brunning on
On 10 June 2010 08:19, Shashwat Anand <anand.shashwat(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> And please stop using 'sir' for heaven's sake.

Not least because list list isn't male only.

--
Cheers,
Simon B.
From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:37:21 +0100 Simon Brunning
<simon(a)brunningonline.net> wrote:

> On 10 June 2010 08:19, Shashwat Anand <anand.shashwat(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > And please stop using 'sir' for heaven's sake.
>
> Not least because list list isn't male only.

Not that I know a lot about Indian English, but I think the Indian mind
tends to use "Sir" as a general respectful address. Or such.

/W

--
INVALID? DE!

From: Chris Rebert on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Andreas Waldenburger
<usenot(a)geekmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:37:21 +0100 Simon Brunning
> <simon(a)brunningonline.net> wrote:
>> On 10 June 2010 08:19, Shashwat Anand <anand.shashwat(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > And please stop using 'sir' for heaven's sake.
>>
>> Not least because list list isn't male only.
>
> Not that I know a lot about Indian English, but I think the Indian mind
> tends to use "Sir" as a general respectful address. Or such.

In any case, if one is using an address, it needs to be plural since
mailinglists/usenet involve communicating with a multitude.

Cheers,
Chris
--
The language specification for English leaves much to be desired.
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Andreas Waldenburger
> <usenot(a)geekmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:37:21 +0100 Simon Brunning
>> <simon(a)brunningonline.net> wrote:

>>> Not least because list list isn't male only.
>>>
>> Not that I know a lot about Indian English, but I think the Indian mind
>> tends to use "Sir" as a general respectful address. Or such.
>>

> In any case, if one is using an address, it needs to be plural since
> mailinglists/usenet involve communicating with a multitude.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
> --
> The language specification for English leaves much to be desired.
> http://blog.rebertia.com

Internet rule, number 30:

"There are no girls on the internet"

:)

JM
From: Jon Clements on
On 10 June, 10:40, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic...(a)sequans.com>
wrote:
> Chris Rebert wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Andreas Waldenburger
> > <use...(a)geekmail.invalid> wrote:

> >> Not that I know a lot about Indian English, but I think the Indian mind
> >> tends to use "Sir" as a general respectful address. Or such.
>
> > In any case, if one is using an address, it needs to be plural since
> > mailinglists/usenet involve communicating with a multitude.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Chris
> > --
> > The language specification for English leaves much to be desired.
> >http://blog.rebertia.com
>
> Internet rule, number 30:
>
> "There are no girls on the internet"
>
> :)
>
> JM

Ahh, you're forgetting the sub-clause of that rule: "(well actually
there are, they just happen to be in .gif and .jpg format)".

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: grep command
Next: Problem with libxml2/libxlst