From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>>> There is a miss-match between the subject line and this remark. UTF
>>> usually means UTF-8
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> ISO-8859-1 is a single-byte character set.
>>
>> Now you are obviously confusing character set and encoding.
>
> ISO/IEC 8859-1: "8-bit single-byte coded graphic character sets"

ISO/IEC 8859-1 is _not_ ISO-8859-1.

PointedEars
From: Janis Papanagnou on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Now you are obviously confusing character set and encoding.
>> ISO/IEC 8859-1: "8-bit single-byte coded graphic character sets"
>
> ISO/IEC 8859-1 is _not_ ISO-8859-1.

Are you really that stupid?

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> [*] There's a better nitpick here, BTW; the definition of byte is not
> generally an 8 bit quantity,

In which century or parallel universe, please?¹

> so it's better to define it as 8-bit byte or as octet.

Unnecessary. "Byte" without context is readily understood as being that;
certainly it is in this newsgroup. RFCs aside, "octet" is the French
pervasion of "byte" nowadays, and in English it is even more ambiguous than
"byte".² So much for nitpicking.

Because of your other followup: Score adjusted, and EOD.

PointedEars
___________
¹ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte>
² <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octet>
From: Ben Bacarisse on
Guillaume Dargaud <use_my_web_form(a)www.gdargaud.net> writes:

> I'm playing with grep/sed on ISO-8859-1 encoded files, [...]

Please don't be put off by the nit-picking flame war that has broken
out because of my post. People are helpful here and you can get this
issue sorted if you persevere.

<snip>
--
Ben.
From: Guillaume Dargaud on
> Please don't be put off by the nit-picking flame war that has broken
> out because of my post. People are helpful here and you can get this
> issue sorted if you persevere.

Don't worry, I've been on usenet since 1992, so I know how things go.
Your various posts put me on the right target: I fed my output to iconv with
the proper conversion (in my case ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8) and then things
worked as expected.

Thanks.
--
Guillaume Dargaud