From: Stan Hoeppner on
Wade Smart put forth on 2/1/2010 7:43 PM:

That's what your Sent Items folder is for.

You need to keep in mind that by default Postfix won't log the mail transactions
in a way easily identifiable by you, except that you sent a message to
user(a)blah.com, the date and time. The entire messages aren't logged, just the
transaction data, and the only way to correlate with Thunderbird will be via
date/time stamps.

I think you're going to a lot of trouble for zero gain. Even if you get this
working, the resulting log files won't meet your needs. Did I mention log
rotation? That's another wrench in the spokes, though it won't really matter
since you can't discern the log info anyway.

There are very few legitimate cases for running a full blown MTA such as Postfix
on a laptop. Yours does not appear to be one of them.

--
Stan

From: Wade Smart on
Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Wade Smart put forth on 2/1/2010 7:43 PM:

> That's what your Sent Items folder is for.
>
> You need to keep in mind that by default Postfix won't log the mail transactions
> in a way easily identifiable by you, except that you sent a message to
> user(a)blah.com, the date and time. The entire messages aren't logged, just the
> transaction data, and the only way to correlate with Thunderbird will be via
> date/time stamps.
>
> I think you're going to a lot of trouble for zero gain. Even if you get this
> working, the resulting log files won't meet your needs. Did I mention log
> rotation? That's another wrench in the spokes, though it won't really matter
> since you can't discern the log info anyway.
>
> There are very few legitimate cases for running a full blown MTA such as Postfix
> on a laptop. Yours does not appear to be one of them.

Stan, Im only setting this up on my laptop to get it working.
Im not putting it on my working computer until I have it all sorted out.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

From: Noel Jones on
On 2/1/2010 7:43 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> Noel Jones wrote:

>>> I contacted the company and, you were right, so I changed the port and I
>>> added the brackets. Similar error message:
>>> relay=non delay=35 delays=4.6/0.08/30/0 dns=4.41 status=deferred
>>> (connect to 72.167.82.80[72.167.82.80]:587: Connection timed out)
>>
>> Hmm, testing from here:
>> # telnet 72.167.82.80 587
>> Trying 72.167.82.80...
>> telnet: connect to address 72.167.82.80: Operation timed out
>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
>>
>> So it looks like 587 isn't available. At least from here.
>> Let's try 465. This requires openssl rather than telnet...
>>
>> # openssl s_client -connect 72.167.82.80:465
>> CONNECTED(00000003)
>> depth=3 /L=ValiCert Validation Network/O=ValiCert,
>> [big SSL handshake snipped]
>> ...certificate chain)
>> ---
>> 220 p3plsmtpa01-09.prod.phx3.secureserver.net ESMTP
>>
>> OK, 465 works for me.
>>
>> Lets try port 25.
>> # telnet 72.167.82.80 25
>> Trying 72.167.82.80...
>> Connected to p3plsmtpa01-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 p3plsmtpa01-04.prod.phx3.secureserver.net ESMTP
>>

>> OK, port 25 works. So it looks as if they gave you bad information
>> about port 587. You'll either need to use port 25, or if your ISP
>> blocks that, you'll need to use the stunnel workaround to connect to 465.
>>

>>> Ok, Im just going to ask this because.. I dont know.
>>> You "can" connect to a normal smtp port with postfix, right?
>>> I mean, I get my email from Godaddy and Im using or wanted postfix to
>>> send my mail back through my account.
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>

>> Yes, of course. But something (firewall, ISP policy, or other end just
>> isn't listening) can block postfix's access to whatever port you're
>> trying to use.
>>
>> -- Noel Jones
>

> Someone posted me this link.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GmailPostfixFetchmail
>
> After trying it with Gmail I tried it with Godaddy.
>
> It is working because Im getting my test messages but Im getting all
> sorts of errors the log:
>
> to=<smart(a)wadesmart.com>
> relay=smtpout.where.secureserver.net[64.202.165.58]:3535,
> delay=309
> delays=309/0.03/0.32/0
> dns=4.74
> status=deferred (TLS is required, but was not offered by host....)

Well, this mail isn't going anywhere. You've told postfix to
enforce TLS, but this host doesn't offer TLS, at least not on
3535.

> Im using port 3535 because I found a post online about someone had
> success with that port (and I use that with my mail client to.)
>
> Wade

-- Noel Jones

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2