From: Cristobal Navarro on
hello,

i am having problems launching remote kernels.
i have a Xeon server (Linux) on which mathematica is installed, and
the "math" command works.

on my laptop, i have linux too, and on mathematica i add the kernel to
be launched on the remote (the server) node.
then i try one example:
2+2

i press shift+enter... mathematica asks me to insert the password of
the remote node user name.... ok and then i get error message:

"The kernel serverKernel failed to connect to the front end. (Error =
MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end."

for debugging purposes, i made a kernel for my same laptop, just like
a "Local" kernel but i choose remote and put my ip adress and my
useracount of my laptop.

i test 2+2, it asks my password..ok, then the same message:

"The kernel self failed to connect to the front end. (Error =
MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end."

this is really weird.

the parameters of the "self kernel" are this:
`java` -jar `mathssh` fcluster(a)agua math -mathlink -LinkMode Connect -
LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "`linkname`" -LinkHost `ipaddress`

if remote kernel does not work with my same computer, i better not
keep trying with the server yet.

any help is welcome, i really dont know what is going on.

best regards
Cristobal.

From: Nate Dudenhoeffer on
Cristobal,

I had a similar problem setting up remote kernels on Mac OS. In the kernel
configuration try putting the complete path to the kernel, instead of simply
"math."

On Mac OS the path is:
/Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel

Regards,
Nate

From: Cristobal Navarro on
i tested what you suggested Nate,

instead of just puting "math" in the argument.
i put complete path

/usr/local/bin/math

but i get the same error when testing a 2+2 example.

if this is useful:
the arguments of MLOpen:
-LinkMode Listen
-LinkProtocol TCPIP
-LinkOptions MLDontInteract

the arguments of shell command to launch kernel
`java` -jar `mathssh` fcluster(a)agua /usr/local/bin/math -mathlink -LinkMode
Connect -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "`linkname`" -LinkHost `ipaddress`

fcluster is the account on the remote node which has hostname "agua".
my laptop uses another account, from what i know it is not necesary to have
the same username on both nodes right?

From: Nate Dudenhoeffer on
My launch command looks the same with the exception that instead of having
the host name I have the IP address including the port (22). That wouldn't
be practical if you have a dynamic IP, but you could use the current IP to
see if that's where the issue is.

I also use a ssh key pair without a password, but that shouldn't make any
difference.

Nate

From: Cristobal Navarro on
i also tried and it didnt work.
all i know is that ssh is not the problem because i always everyday with it
on the remote node.

could you copy to me your arguments ??
thanks!