From: Christoph Lameter on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:

> Lee Schermerhorn was trying to use percpu from slab.h and ran into a
> dependency loop. percpu.h was using slab.h for UP inline

The problem is that percpu.h includes slab.h for the UP case. slab.h does
not use percpu.h. Lee was trying to have topology.h use percpu.h which
fails because percpu.h uses gfp.h which in turn uses topology.h again.

Did something change there or does the description need an update?

From: Tejun Heo on
Hello,

On 03/17/2010 01:16 AM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:
>
>> Lee Schermerhorn was trying to use percpu from slab.h and ran into a
>> dependency loop. percpu.h was using slab.h for UP inline
>
> The problem is that percpu.h includes slab.h for the UP case.

Yes, that's the reason why slab.h is included in percpu.h
unconditionally.

> slab.h does not use percpu.h. Lee was trying to have topology.h use
> percpu.h which fails because percpu.h uses gfp.h which in turn uses
> topology.h again.

But apparently a lot of files depend on getting slab.h through
percpu.h and removing slab.h causes a lot of build breakages UP or
SMP.

> Did something change there or does the description need an update?

I don't find anything too wrong about the description?

Thanks.

--
tejun
From: Christoph Lameter on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 03/17/2010 01:16 AM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:
> >
> >> Lee Schermerhorn was trying to use percpu from slab.h and ran into a
> >> dependency loop. percpu.h was using slab.h for UP inline
> >
> > Did something change there or does the description need an update?
>
> I don't find anything too wrong about the description?

"Lee Schermerhorn nwas trying to use percpu from slab.h and ..."

From: Lee Schermerhorn on
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 11:34 -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:
>
> > Hello,

> > > Did something change there or does the description need an update?
> >
> > I don't find anything too wrong about the description?
>
> "Lee Schermerhorn nwas trying to use percpu from slab.h and ..."

Well, indirectly, I was including percpu.h in slab.h by way of
gpf.h/topology.h. Not actually what I was *trying* to do.

s/from slab.h/from topology.h/ is the update Christoph is indicating.
Right, Christoph?

From: Christoph Lameter on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Lee Schermerhorn wrote:

> s/from slab.h/from topology.h/ is the update Christoph is indicating.
> Right, Christoph?

Right.