From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Saturday 05 June 2010, Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
> This debug printk is only useful if you're debugging the staging drivers
> 2860 e 2870, but, if you're just using them, it becomes really annoying, because
> it uselessly clobbers the kernel log. I guess this patch shouldn't really get merged,
> but it's more like a request to remove these annoying debugging messages for normal users.
> If I get any suggestion on how to implement this in a way acceptable to get it merged, I'll
> be happy to create the "good" version of the patch.

Ideally, drivers should not have their own debugging macros like this, but
instead use the kernel's own pr_debug() and (preferrably) dev_dbg() macros,
which are disabled by default.
For many of these debugging outputs, it's even better to kill them entirely
instead of converting to dev_dbg().
Do not put the line in comments though.

Arnd
From: Greg KH on
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:07:39PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Saturday 05 June 2010, Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
> > This debug printk is only useful if you're debugging the staging drivers
> > 2860 e 2870, but, if you're just using them, it becomes really annoying, because
> > it uselessly clobbers the kernel log. I guess this patch shouldn't really get merged,
> > but it's more like a request to remove these annoying debugging messages for normal users.
> > If I get any suggestion on how to implement this in a way acceptable to get it merged, I'll
> > be happy to create the "good" version of the patch.
>
> Ideally, drivers should not have their own debugging macros like this, but
> instead use the kernel's own pr_debug() and (preferrably) dev_dbg() macros,
> which are disabled by default.
> For many of these debugging outputs, it's even better to kill them entirely
> instead of converting to dev_dbg().
> Do not put the line in comments though.

I agree, just use dev_dbg() instead.

thanks,