From: Ratedr on
Ok I hope that I am explaining this correctly:

I had an issue with windows xp, and I wanted to repair it, but for
some reason my disc (dont ask why) didnt give me a choice of
repairing
the windows installation..so I just installed another copy (now c:
\windows.1 lets say) I dont want to go through the hassle of fixing
everything, reinstalling my shortcuts, etc....I just want to be able
to repair my ORIGINAL windows installation c:\windows. Is there a
way, from the windows.1 installation, to repair the c:\windows
installation? like doing the sfc /scanow but to scan the original
windows installation?
From: John John - MVP on
Ratedr wrote:
> Ok I hope that I am explaining this correctly:
>
> I had an issue with windows xp, and I wanted to repair it, but for
> some reason my disc (dont ask why) didnt give me a choice of
> repairing
> the windows installation..so I just installed another copy (now c:
> \windows.1 lets say) I dont want to go through the hassle of fixing
> everything, reinstalling my shortcuts, etc....I just want to be able
> to repair my ORIGINAL windows installation c:\windows. Is there a
> way, from the windows.1 installation, to repair the c:\windows
> installation? like doing the sfc /scanow but to scan the original
> windows installation?

Tools like SFC can't be run from a different Windows installation. If
you know exactly what the problem is you can look for missing or corrupt
files, run tools like chkdsk, edit the registry or try to clean viruses
and malware but you can't run repair tools like SFC.

John
From: Jose on
On Mar 10, 10:39 am, Ratedr <raskinsc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I hope that I am explaining this correctly:
>
> I had an issue with windows xp, and I wanted to repair it, but for
> some reason my disc (dont ask why) didnt give me a choice of
> repairing
> the windows installation..so I just installed another copy (now c:
> \windows.1 lets say)  I dont want to go through the hassle of fixing
> everything, reinstalling my shortcuts, etc....I just want to be able
> to repair my ORIGINAL windows installation c:\windows.  Is there a
> way, from the windows.1 installation, to repair the c:\windows
> installation?  like doing the sfc /scanow but to scan the original
> windows installation?

What is the problem with the original installation?

It may be more productive to fix that than to try to fool sfc /scannow
into acting in some way that is unnatural to it.

I have never seen sfc /scannow fix anything either, so why would you
think that is going to help?