From: Jan Hussaarts on
Hi,

I'm using SQLServer 2000 and Visual Studio 2003.

Today all the sudden in Visual Studio the field list pane is empty for all
reports I have created. When I try to ad a field using Expressions, I receive
the message "report item not linked to a dataset". As a source for the
dataset I use a storede procedure.

The reports can still be used. I just cannot properly edit them anymore.
When l look at the xml code, the fields are in the report.
--
Jan
From: Tabby Cool via SQLMonster.com on
Hi Jan

Have you tried right-clicking on the table in the report, going to properties,
then linking it to a dataset manually?

I've never had reports suddenly lose their datasets like that, but there are
often times when I add a table to a report and it isn't automatically linked
to a dataset.

From: Jan Hussaarts on
The point is that normally there is a Fields pane on the left of the screen.
Add a table and you can drop a Field from the Fields pane on a cell in the
table. The field pane remains empty after manually linking the table to the
dataset.
From: Tabby Cool via SQLMonster.com on
Have you checked your dataset to make sure it can still access the data?

If there is no dataset, or if you don't have access to the data for whatever
reason (maybe your user account doesn't have authority to view the data) then
the fields pane will remain empty, since RS can't actually see the fields
returned by the dataset query.

Jan Hussaarts wrote:
>The point is that normally there is a Fields pane on the left of the screen.
>Add a table and you can drop a Field from the Fields pane on a cell in the
>table. The field pane remains empty after manually linking the table to the
>dataset.

When I look at de rdl version of the report, under < Datasets> the dataset
and all the fields that are output of the stored procedure are there. So,
access rights are ok. It is just the Fields pane that remains empty.

I'm thinking of uninstalling and installing RS. I think that might solve the
problem. It has taken a lot of my time up till now.