From: JohnE on
In a conversion from Access to ASP.Net there is a part wizard that is 6 to 8
steps depending on the part being created. It is a series of popups that
guide the user thru the creation of a new part and eventually assigns a part
number, part revision, and so on. I have never really cared for the way it
is and now with the conversion, it can be changed.

My first thought was to use a tab control. It would be nice and neat on a
webform. Easy to use and maintain.

Also thought of a series of panels, but the user has to be able to go back
and forth if needed. And this is back to a similar way it currently is.
Users would be familiar with it from what is currently used. This might be
tougher to maintain.

Also thought about the accordian control. But I'm thinking the users might
not warm up to this control. I haven't totally use to it myself.

This is where I would like to have ideas and thoughts of what power
developers would do / have done.

Thanks
John

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ASP.NET+wizard

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: JohnE on

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "JohnE" <JohnE(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > In a conversion from Access to ASP.Net there is a part wizard that is 6 to
> > 8
>
> > This is where I would like to have ideas and thoughts of what power
> > developers would do / have done.
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ASP.NET+wizard
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

I went thru the controls and I didn't even see that on. From the link it
reads like that is what is needed.
Thanks.
From: Gregory A. Beamer on

"JohnE" <JohnE(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In a conversion from Access to ASP.Net there is a part wizard that is 6 to
> 8
> steps depending on the part being created. It is a series of popups that
> guide the user thru the creation of a new part and eventually assigns a
> part
> number, part revision, and so on. I have never really cared for the way
> it
> is and now with the conversion, it can be changed.
>
> My first thought was to use a tab control. It would be nice and neat on a
> webform. Easy to use and maintain.
>
> Also thought of a series of panels, but the user has to be able to go back
> and forth if needed. And this is back to a similar way it currently is.
> Users would be familiar with it from what is currently used. This might
> be
> tougher to maintain.
>
> Also thought about the accordian control. But I'm thinking the users
> might
> not warm up to this control. I haven't totally use to it myself.
>
> This is where I would like to have ideas and thoughts of what power
> developers would do / have done.

Multiview works nicely here. You can also use a Wizard control, but realize
it does tie you into a tighter box, so investigate prior to using it. The
final option is tabs with individual panels that you show as a user fills
out pieces. The final gives the most control, but costs the most in terms of
work.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg