From: SAM on
Le 6/16/10 9:13 PM, Dr J R Stockton a �crit :
> In comp.lang.javascript message <be99badb-99e0-409e-b997-fcafc5769b45(a)x2
> 1g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 15 Jun 2010 04:37:20, Sean Kinsey
> <okinsey(a)gmail.com> posted:
>
>> On Jun 14, 10:09 am, SAM <stephanemoriaux.NoAd...(a)wanadoo.fr.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>> Le 6/13/10 4:24 PM, Zarkas a crit :

>>> Because :
>>> - not bookmarkable
>>> - poor accessibility
>>> - ugly ?
>> mu
>>
>> All of these can easily be worked around if one chooses to. And
>> seriously, 'ugly'? Was that the best you could do?
>>
>> For some reason it still amazes me that whenever someone even mentions
>> 'iframe' (and a number of other things),
>> you ignorants reply with 'don't use it' without having the faintest
>> idea about the use case, the intentions, the requirements, the reason
>> why the person in the first place chose to use an iframe etc..
>
> Agreed. It is very common for persons of limited education and
> intelligence (many articles in Usenet are written by one of those),
> knowing of one circumstance when something is inadvisable, to rant and
> rave against doing that in any circumstances.
>
> Take for example the suggestion that an iframe is visually ugly (which
> seems strange in the first instance);

it's its used that is "uggly"
specially if "resizing" :-(

> that cannot apply to a hidden
> iframe, and I have applications which would work, using an iframe, if
> that iframe were invisible.

as it was question of size why to speak of invisible ?

The used of not visible frames or iframes for JS convenience is another
problem, I don't think it was evoked in OP's question.

> Also, the content of the iframe changes too rapidly for bookmarking
> to be practical.

Maybe
But, once again, that didn't sound like in the question (resizing).
--
sm
From: SAM on
Le 6/17/10 9:14 AM, Zarkas a �crit :
> Well, the reason I choose to use an iframe in this case was that I got
> some flash sideshow in the top of the page, and want to just change
> the page content below it according to what menu field they clicked

Ha! there we are ... a Flash commodity ...

Interesting ... with my Flash blocker ;-)

> on. If I just loaded a new page each time they clicked on a menu the
> slideshow would start over and it would ruin the flow. I wouldn't call
> the iframe "ugly" as you don't even notice it's there.
> The only problem is that little resize problem which seems to be
> pretty common and tons of way to deal with, none which I have tried
> seemed optimal.

It would be interesting to have a look inline of the job in its actual
state.

Does file(s) loaded in the iframe have a css that could fix your problem
avoiding to have to resize the iframe's space ?

Without having seen the site I continue to think that a display in a div
via Ajax could be more easily fixable (css are your friends).

Certainly, Sean Kinsey will explain you the working out about bookmarks
(since we are now talking about "menu")

--
sm
From: Evertjan. on
Zarkas wrote on 17 jun 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Well, the reason I choose to use an iframe in this case

What case?

[please always quote on usenet]

--
Evertjan.