From: """" on
since 4 years now, I follow this newsgroup, but didn't read/find
anyting valuable about this toppic.

In about one year I hope to ship my application, that I'm workin on
(since 6 years). So I'm quite afraid and wondering if anybody could
easily reverse engineer my lisp fasl files or the image they are
incorporated (I use sbcl).

Thanks in advance for any comment or url pointing to,
c.

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
"\"(typep 'nil (statisfies 'identity))\"" <christophamort(a)yahoo.it> writes:

> since 4 years now, I follow this newsgroup, but didn't read/find
> anyting valuable about this toppic.
>
> In about one year I hope to ship my application, that I'm workin on
> (since 6 years). So I'm quite afraid and wondering if anybody could
> easily reverse engineer my lisp fasl files or the image they are
> incorporated (I use sbcl).
>
> Thanks in advance for any comment or url pointing to,

I wouldn't worry.

First I will remark that by principle, *I* avoid to use closed source
software as far as possible. For twenty years now, open source
philosophy has made quite some progress, and I think that a lot of
people will avoid losing their time with closed source software too.

The only entities that may be still be interested in closed source
software are either na�ve paying users, they won't have the literacy
to imagine they could use DISASSEMBLE or even DO-SYMBOLS; and
corporations who will have the means to pay for your closed source
software, and won't want to invest in any reverse engineering (the
more so when it's for a _lisp_ program!). If you really want to
toughen your situation with respect to corporations, you could find
some original part in your software (if you worked on it for six
years, there are certain some non-obvious combinations of algorithms)
that you could patent. This would represent quite an investment in
patent lawyer fees, but would ensure all corporations would be
forewarned.

(That said, I also think patents are bad things and should be avoided).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Vassil Nikolov on

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:24:33 -0700 (PDT), "\"(typep 'nil (statisfies 'identity))\"" <christophamort(a)yahoo.it> said:

Out of curiosity, are the (apparent) typos in the name part of your
e-mail address intentional?

---Vassil.

--
"Even when the muse is posting on Usenet, Alexander Sergeevich?"
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal on
On Oct 30, 11:24 pm, "\"(typep 'nil (statisfies 'identity))\""
<christopham...(a)yahoo.it> wrote:
> since 4 years now, I follow this newsgroup, but didn't read/find
> anyting valuable about this toppic.
>
> In about one year I hope to ship my application, that I'm workin on
> (since 6 years). So I'm quite afraid and wondering if anybody could
> easily reverse engineer my lisp fasl files or the image they are
> incorporated (I use sbcl).
>
> Thanks in advance for any comment or url pointing to,
> c.

Without knowing what sort of software you're developing -- this is
simple; you don't have to distribute anything. Instead, grant network
access (login) via a web-based user interface or use stuff like NX
("NoMachine").
From: """" on
On 31 Okt., 06:35, Vassil Nikolov <vniko...(a)pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:24:33 -0700 (PDT), "\"(typep 'nil (statisfies 'identity))\"" <christopham...(a)yahoo.it> said:
>
>   Out of curiosity, are the (apparent) typos in the name part of your
>   e-mail address intentional?
>
>   ---Vassil.
>
> --
> "Even when the muse is posting on Usenet, Alexander Sergeevich?"

.... typos! it should be: (typep nil '(satisfies identity)). as a lisp
beginner I thought this should always return T on what ever s-exp it
is called. But on nil it returns nil! ... and I was thinking nil does
not satisfy the test of its own identity. Now I know identity is a
macro and just returns the argmument:

Arguments and Values:
object---an object.

Returns its argument object.

c.

.... even being a teacher typos happen so often to me, with the modern
ide's they are corrected toooo easily! As an excuse i can say: english
is my third language and I've never had a lesson in programming.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: A Fateman paper
Next: Variables use.