From: Glenn English on
Is it possible to use postfix as a reverse proxy for my SMTP server?

I think what I'm asking is does postfix do its UBE and protocol checks *before* it sends to a smarthost.

If not, do you know of a way to reverse proxy SMTP? How about POP3 and IMAP?

--
Glenn English
ghe(a)slsware.com

From: Noel Jones on
On 4/1/2010 12:49 PM, Glenn English wrote:
> Is it possible to use postfix as a reverse proxy for my SMTP server?
>
> I think what I'm asking is does postfix do its UBE and protocol checks *before* it sends to a smarthost.
>
> If not, do you know of a way to reverse proxy SMTP? How about POP3 and IMAP?

It's fairly common to use postfix as an email gateway for
multiple internal mail servers. Here's a starting point:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#firewall

Other information on configuring postfix can be found here:

You can use dovecot as a IMAP/POP3 proxy, more info here:
http://dovecot.org/
http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/ImapProxy

-- Noel Jones

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:49:50AM -0600, Glenn English wrote:

> Is it possible to use postfix as a reverse proxy for my SMTP server?

Yes, but why?

> I think what I'm asking is does postfix do its UBE and protocol checks
> *before* it sends to a smarthost.

Yes, but when Postfix is a proxy, there is no "smarthost" involved, that
is what happens when Postfix is not a proxy. In proxy mode, all SMTP
transactions are proxied to a fixed downstream SMTP server which ultimately
accepts or rejects the message, but Postfix gets a chance to apply its
policy first.

http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

--
Viktor.

From: Glenn English on

On Apr 1, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:

>> Is it possible to use postfix as a reverse proxy for my SMTP server?
>
> Yes, but why?

Because I was told over on the mailop list that it needs to be done for security reasons, and I'm looking into whether to believe it or not.

Thanks to you and Noel for the speedy advice. I haven't been able to find much with google...

--
Glenn English
ghe(a)slsware.com

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:50:04PM -0600, Glenn English wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to use postfix as a reverse proxy for my SMTP server?
> >
> > Yes, but why?
>
> Because I was told over on the mailop list that it needs to be done
> for security reasons, and I'm looking into whether to believe it or not.

What is the "it" that has to be done for "security reasons". Normally
Postfix is a store/forward MTA not a reverse proxy, and this is likely
more secure, because SMTP commands are fully generated by Postfix,
rather than proxied through.

If you don't need proxy-mode for non-security reasons, you don't need
proxy mode.

--
Viktor.