From: Brian Candler on
Xavier Noria wrote:
>> so if I want to look up how to use a function, how do i do this using
>> ruby?
>
> In the command line you check it with ri. Online you check some of the
> references listed in http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/.

And for installed gems, type

gem server --daemon

then point your web browser at http://127.0.0.1:8808/

From: Ryan Davis on

On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:29 , Brian Candler wrote:

> Xavier Noria wrote:
>>> so if I want to look up how to use a function, how do i do this using
>>> ruby?
>>
>> In the command line you check it with ri. Online you check some of the
>> references listed in http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/.
>
> And for installed gems, type
>
> gem server --daemon
>
> then point your web browser at http://127.0.0.1:8808/

That's not strictly necessary. ri picks up gem rdoc too.

Do make sure you have the rdoc gem installed so you have the latest version of ri and rdoc.

From: Roger Pack on
Xavier Noria wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Derek Smith

> Unfortunately documentation is not one of Ruby strengths, there's
> nothing as comprehensive as Perl builtin documentation (though there
> are few languages that can compare with Perl documentation). Generally
> speaking, libraries are not as well-documented as Perl modules either.

True. I've been trying to help it by fleshing out the ruby wikibook:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming

> If you want to learn about the Ruby language you normally get a book,
> as reference I personally use Flanagan & Matsumoto. There are some
> free tutorials online, there's also an old version of the Pickaxe.

Here's a list of some online books:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming#Online

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2