From: Casper H.S. Dik on
Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> writes:

>On 2010-03-12, Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> In article
>><930abafa-010e-41cf-8cf5-eb8d0ed0a43d(a)g10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So are there any ways to stats the underlying mount point ?

>> Not that I know of. Once you mount something, the original mount point
>> is totally hidden.

>Almost.

>If you NFS export a filesystem, and that filesystem contains a mount
>point, you can't see the mount point (only the filesystem mounted over
>it) on the server, but a client mounting the filesystem can see the mount
>point, but not the thing mounted on it.

>Er, that's hard to follow.

>/a filesystem
>/a/b another filesystem

>If I export /a to a client machine, it can see the underlying directory
>/a/b which is the mount point, because it can't follow my NFS mount.

In recent versions of Solaris, there's a "nosub" mount for "lofs".

E.g., if you have a directory '/export' and you mount a filesystem,
you can access the mountpoint under the filesystem using:

mount -F lofs -o nosub / /mnt
ls -ld /mnt/export

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.
From: Jon LaBadie on
Francis Moreau wrote:
> On Mar 12, 3:10 am, Barry Margolin <bar...(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> In article
>> <74384b7d-fac6-48bf-9da3-86894ecc5...(a)z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But I'm not trying to access the content of the directory (hence not
>>> trying to access to the remote data), I'm just try to stat the
>>> directory .gvfs on which something is mounted (that's why I pass '-ld'
>>> switches to ls(1))
>> Stat accesses the mounted directory, not the underlying mount point.
>>

> So are there any ways to stats the underlying mount point ?

UNIX systems used to have a File System DeBugger, fsdb, that could
be used to examine the underlying mount point. Might be using a
cannon to squash a beetle though. Are programs like fsdb still around?
From: Seebs on
On 2010-03-14, Jon LaBadie <jlabadie(a)aXcXm.org> wrote:
> UNIX systems used to have a File System DeBugger, fsdb, that could
> be used to examine the underlying mount point. Might be using a
> cannon to squash a beetle though. Are programs like fsdb still around?

I haven't seen much like that in a while -- I think BSD/OS or NetBSD had
a working one a few years back, but I have no idea whether they still do.
(BSD/OS being a sort of hypothetical case anyway, now.)

I have a filesystem layer thing for which I intend to write an fsdb-like
implementation In My Copious Free Time.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Allodoxaphobia on
On 14 Mar 2010 09:07:40 GMT, Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-03-14, Jon LaBadie <jlabadie(a)aXcXm.org> wrote:
>> UNIX systems used to have a File System DeBugger, fsdb, that could
>> be used to examine the underlying mount point. Might be using a
>> cannon to squash a beetle though. Are programs like fsdb still around?
>
> I haven't seen much like that in a while -- I think BSD/OS or NetBSD had
> a working one a few years back, but I have no idea whether they still do.
> (BSD/OS being a sort of hypothetical case anyway, now.)

[rute~]uname -v
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Jan 5 16:02:27 UTC 2010 . . . . .
[rute~]which fsdb
/sbin/fsdb
[rute~]

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
From: Barry Margolin on
In article <hnhol0$ais$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Jon LaBadie <jlabadie(a)aXcXm.org> wrote:

> Francis Moreau wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 3:10 am, Barry Margolin <bar...(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <74384b7d-fac6-48bf-9da3-86894ecc5...(a)z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Stat accesses the mounted directory, not the underlying mount point.
> >>

> > So are there any ways to stats the underlying mount point ?
>
> UNIX systems used to have a File System DeBugger, fsdb, that could
> be used to examine the underlying mount point. Might be using a
> cannon to squash a beetle though. Are programs like fsdb still around?

I'd expect fsdb to access the raw disk device, not go through the file
system. Am I wrong?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA