From: Todd on
Hi All,

I am using CentOS 5.4 (Old-Out-Of-Date) as a workstation.

I want to install the latest Firefox and Thunderbird binaries
from mozilla.com's web site.

Somewhere is my past, I remember that there was a wrapper
program you could run when you doing such things that kept your
rpm database up to date. I remember writing down a note as
to how to do it, but now I can not find it. Rats!

Anyone remember what this wrapper/thingy is called?

Many thanks,
-T
From: DenverD on
Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using CentOS 5.4 (Old-Out-Of-Date) as a workstation.
>
> I want to install the latest Firefox and Thunderbird binaries
> from mozilla.com's web site.
>
> Somewhere is my past, I remember that there was a wrapper
> program you could run when you doing such things that kept your
> rpm database up to date. I remember writing down a note as
> to how to do it, but now I can not find it. Rats!
>
> Anyone remember what this wrapper/thingy is called?

unless i overlooked it, Moz doesn't offer an executable binary for any
brand of Linux...instead they have tar ball to compile and
install...in which case there is neither need nor ability to update
the rpm database..

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 03/30/2010 11:22 AM, DenverD wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using CentOS 5.4 (Old-Out-Of-Date) as a workstation.
>>
>> I want to install the latest Firefox and Thunderbird binaries
>> from mozilla.com's web site.
>>
>> Somewhere is my past, I remember that there was a wrapper
>> program you could run when you doing such things that kept your
>> rpm database up to date. I remember writing down a note as
>> to how to do it, but now I can not find it. Rats!
>>
>> Anyone remember what this wrapper/thingy is called?
>
> unless i overlooked it, Moz doesn't offer an executable binary for any
> brand of Linux...instead they have tar ball to compile and
> install...in which case there is neither need nor ability to update
> the rpm database..

see
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/linux-i686/en-US/
and
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/latest/linux-i686/en-US/
for pre-build binaries ;)

I use these, to re-package the same for our Debian and ArchLinux machines :)

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Todd on
On 03/29/2010 10:52 PM, DenverD wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using CentOS 5.4 (Old-Out-Of-Date) as a workstation.
>>
>> I want to install the latest Firefox and Thunderbird binaries
>> from mozilla.com's web site.
>>
>> Somewhere is my past, I remember that there was a wrapper
>> program you could run when you doing such things that kept your
>> rpm database up to date. I remember writing down a note as
>> to how to do it, but now I can not find it. Rats!
>>
>> Anyone remember what this wrapper/thingy is called?
>
> unless i overlooked it, Moz doesn't offer an executable binary for any
> brand of Linux...instead they have tar ball to compile and
> install...in which case there is neither need nor ability to update
> the rpm database..

Okay, binary was bad choice of terms. The wrapper I am
thinking of will run the tar ball for you and keep
track of the changes in the RPM database. Anyone
remember what the wrapper is called?

Many thanks,
-T
From: Joe Beanfish on
On 03/30/10 01:52, DenverD wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using CentOS 5.4 (Old-Out-Of-Date) as a workstation.
>>
>> I want to install the latest Firefox and Thunderbird binaries
>> from mozilla.com's web site.
>>
>> Somewhere is my past, I remember that there was a wrapper
>> program you could run when you doing such things that kept your
>> rpm database up to date. I remember writing down a note as
>> to how to do it, but now I can not find it. Rats!
>>
>> Anyone remember what this wrapper/thingy is called?
>
> unless i overlooked it, Moz doesn't offer an executable binary for any
> brand of Linux...instead they have tar ball to compile and
> install...in which case there is neither need nor ability to update
> the rpm database..

http://www.mozilla.com
Click "download" for the binary.
I long ago removed all rpms for Firefox and Thunderbird as they were
always too old, even on Fedora. I always install the latest binary
right from mozilla. Never compiled it.

No idea about an RPM wrapper though.