From: Reynolds McClatchey on
I'm rsyncing my iTunes to an external usb drive on Win XP.
syncing 18 GB took maybe an hour, transporting 4 GB of movies and TX.

I've got both smb mounted on CentOS 3. rsync seems to work as
long as I use local paths for the smbmount directories.

Anyone think I will have trouble (corrupted files)?

Plan B is to usb live boot Linux on the Win XP box and run rsync
locally rather than the CentOS box. That would surely be faster.

Thanks for any shared experience.
From: unruh on
On 2010-04-10, Reynolds McClatchey <rey(a)saf.com> wrote:
> I'm rsyncing my iTunes to an external usb drive on Win XP.
> syncing 18 GB took maybe an hour, transporting 4 GB of movies and TX.
>
> I've got both smb mounted on CentOS 3. rsync seems to work as
> long as I use local paths for the smbmount directories.
>
> Anyone think I will have trouble (corrupted files)?
>
> Plan B is to usb live boot Linux on the Win XP box and run rsync
> locally rather than the CentOS box. That would surely be faster.

yes.

> Thanks for any shared experience.

What is your question? rsync checks the transported files, using MD5 I
believe, tomake sure that the copied file is identical to the original.
So, no you will not have corrupted files.

From: J.O. Aho on
Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
> I'm rsyncing my iTunes to an external usb drive on Win XP.
> syncing 18 GB took maybe an hour, transporting 4 GB of movies and TX.
>
> I've got both smb mounted on CentOS 3. rsync seems to work as
> long as I use local paths for the smbmount directories.
>
> Anyone think I will have trouble (corrupted files)?

File corruption depends on your media, if it starts to be old and worn out,
yes it will cause you corruption, no matter if it's USB, local hard drive, or
it's done over a network sharing/file system. Some file systems may have other
causes for getting corrupt files, like badly written operating systems.

> Plan B is to usb live boot Linux on the Win XP box and run rsync
> locally rather than the CentOS box. That would surely be faster.

Sure rsyncing over network is slower than doing it locally, rsyncing over
samba is even slower. Store the files locally, let the badly written os to
access the files from a file share.

--

//Aho
From: unruh on
On 2010-04-11, J.O. Aho <user(a)example.net> wrote:
> Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
>> I'm rsyncing my iTunes to an external usb drive on Win XP.
>> syncing 18 GB took maybe an hour, transporting 4 GB of movies and TX.
>>
>> I've got both smb mounted on CentOS 3. rsync seems to work as
>> long as I use local paths for the smbmount directories.
>>
>> Anyone think I will have trouble (corrupted files)?
>
> File corruption depends on your media, if it starts to be old and worn out,
> yes it will cause you corruption, no matter if it's USB, local hard drive, or
> it's done over a network sharing/file system. Some file systems may have other
> causes for getting corrupt files, like badly written operating systems.

rsync checks the two files to ensure that the copied file is identical
to the original. Now it may be that stuff gets corrupted AFTER the copy
is done, but that has nothing to do with the copying.

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-04-10, Reynolds McClatchey <rey(a)saf.com> wrote:
> I'm rsyncing my iTunes to an external usb drive on Win XP.
> syncing 18 GB took maybe an hour, transporting 4 GB of movies and TX.
>
> I've got both smb mounted on CentOS 3. rsync seems to work as
> long as I use local paths for the smbmount directories.
>
> Anyone think I will have trouble (corrupted files)?
>
> Plan B is to usb live boot Linux on the Win XP box and run rsync
> locally rather than the CentOS box. That would surely be faster.
>
> Thanks for any shared experience.

Have you cosidered using the windows version of rsync?

Pages: 1
Prev: ls --color=tty
Next: mailcap for open document