From: Peter Zijlstra on
On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 12:06 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> I meant CPU_ONLINE not CPU_UP_PREPARE. So,
> we can mark a cpu active before other CPU_ONLINE callbacks are run.

OK, that should work.
From: Peter Zijlstra on
On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 12:19 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 05/31/2010 12:15 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 12:06 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> >> I meant CPU_ONLINE not CPU_UP_PREPARE. So,
> >> we can mark a cpu active before other CPU_ONLINE callbacks are run.
> >
> > OK, that should work.
>
> The only remaining problemw is PF_THREAD_BOUND. It needs to be set
> for wq workers (including rescuers). Would it be okay to add an
> interface which only ignores PF_THREAD_BOUND?

So workers _are_ thread bound and don't migrate, so for those I don't
see the problem, that is of course until we have to break affinity when
their CPU goes down, at which point we should clear PF_THREAD_BOUND I
think.

For the rescue thread, why not set PF_THREAD_BOUND when its running
worklets and clear it when done? That way we get extra checking that
people won't migrate it when its not allowed.

Does that work, or did I miss something?
From: Tejun Heo on
Hello,

On 05/31/2010 12:46 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> So workers _are_ thread bound and don't migrate, so for those I don't
> see the problem, that is of course until we have to break affinity when
> their CPU goes down, at which point we should clear PF_THREAD_BOUND I
> think.
>
> For the rescue thread, why not set PF_THREAD_BOUND when its running
> worklets and clear it when done? That way we get extra checking that
> people won't migrate it when its not allowed.
>
> Does that work, or did I miss something?

The rescuers migrate themselves so should be okay. I still think it
would be better to migrate back detached workers. It's a slow path
for sure but there's a big gaping hole between machine-slow and
human-slow and works can be human-slow (ie. hotplug operation not
finished in several minutes). I'll see if that's implementable w/o
adding an additional interface.

Thanks.

--
tejun