From: Florent THOMAS on

Hello,

I'm pretty new with ruby and I've just installed retrospectiva with
success within ruby enterprise edition.
I ran with success the command : /XXXXX/bin/ruby script/server -e
production -p3000
Unfortunately as I close the shell, the server shut down.
How can I test that the server is in production in order to make it as a
service in a script.

best regards

From: Markus Schirp on
This is not a ruby specific problem.

All processes started "normally" from a shell are terminated when the
shell exits.

There are many, many posibillities to avoid this, the most easy way
would be the use of the programm screen. But it has several diadvantages.

I suggest to use a process supervisor (it will restart your programm
when it crashes, and takes care of starting it after your server comes up).

Personally I use:

supervise (from djbs deamontools) and
monit

Feel free to google ;)

Mfg

Markus

From: Florent THOMAS on
Thanks a lot for your answer.

I will search in this direction.
I was just wondering if there is a ruby command to test wether an
application runs or not.
Best regards

From: hackob on
Also you can use the nohup command this prevents that the command ends on shell exit.

hackob desde Blackberry®.

From: Florent THOMAS on
thanks for all your answers.
I found a package that works fine in Centos via webmin.

Best regards