From: Don Geddis on
"W. James" <w_a_x_man(a)yahoo.com> wrote on 6 Dec 2009 13:44:
> Guy L. Steele, Jr., July 1989:
> I think we may usefully compare the approximate number of pages
> in the defining standard or draft standard for several
> programming languages:
> Common Lisp 1000 or more
[...]
> Scheme 50

What is useful about that comparison?
Don Geddis http://don.geddis.org/ don(a)geddis.org
From: mpeever on
On Dec 5, 10:35 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:44:43 +1100, Tim X wrote:
> > mpeever <mpee...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I've been experimenting with CL scripting for about a year now.  We've
> >> got a significant amount of SBCL code working in our Legato Networker
> >> environment. We've started small, but so far we're really happy with
> >> it. I'm currently considering the benefits of replacing some
> >> significant Perl processes in CL. There are some pending changes that
> >> are much more daunting in Perl than CL.
>
> >> We wrote a quick-and-dirty toolkit to clean up some of the OS
> >> interfacing: we've more or less tried to imitate Perl's operators. Our
> >> toolkit appears to work on SBCL, CCL, and ECL. Making it support
> >> multiple implementations was important, as we're still very much in
> >> pilot mode: we may yet have to make some drastic changes and we need to
> >> be able to move quickly.
>
> >> We've been taking advantage of the core-dump facilities in CL
> >> implementations for code roll-outs. It makes updates and changes very
> >> simple, especially once we hit a critical mass point.
>
> >> I'm very interested to hear about your experiences.
>
> > While I can see the appeal of using CL for scripting, I'm interested in
> > why people choose this approach rather than using one of the lispy
> > dialects that have been specifically designed for this type of purpose.
> > I'm thinking of things like guile, lush, rep etc.
>
> For me, it takes a lot of time to learn all the nooks and crannies of
> a language, and doing this for the occasional script doesn't justify
> the investment.  Maybe all those dialects are "lispy", but they have
> different names for standard functions, slightly different semantic
> conventions, etc, all of which would lead to minor annoyances.  So I
> chose to roll the thing in CL, and I was pleased, it took very little
> time.  I will continue to do these things in the future.
>
> Tamas
>
> BTW, lush sucks bigtime, eg it doesn't have lexical scoping.  I tried the
> it a while ago and it was a major disappointment.

For us, it was somewhat an historical accident: I had an SBCL REPL
open when I was thinking about what I needed, so I started modeling it
there. I intended to port it to Perl, but we decided just to install
SBCL on the target system and see how it worked. It's not broken, so
we haven't fixed it.

From a political standpoint, using anything other than Perl has been a
bit of a risk for us. It's silly, but it's the old "it's to hard to
find someone how knows Lisp" argument. While that may be true, it's
pretty hard to find people who actually know Perl too. A lowest-common-
denominator approach doesn't work very well in ANY language. When we
replace this system, it'll be time to re-examine our use of CL. Until
then, we really need to either stick with CL or go back to Perl.

From: Pillsy on
On Dec 5, 7:44 pm, Tim X <t...(a)nospam.dev.null> wrote:
[...]
> While I can see the appeal of using CL for scripting, I'm interested in
> why people choose this approach rather than using one of the lispy
> dialects that have been specifically designed for this type of purpose.
> I'm thinking of things like guile, lush, rep etc.

The main reason for me is that it's not clear that the advantage they
provide is sufficient to make up for the learning curve. It may not be
that steep, but I know CL now, I have CL installed now, and with a few
common libraries and custom macros it's very capable of getting the
job done.

A secondary reason is that if the script starts growing beyond simple
throwaway code, I know that CL is capable of coping. It has good
compilers, a powerful and flexible object system, and conditions,
which I prefer to any other error-handling system I've used.

Why not stick with a language I know and like that I'm confident can
get the job at hand done well, and will still be useful if the job at
hand grows into something more involved?

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: Tim X on
"W. James" <w_a_x_man(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
>
>> While I can see the appeal of using CL for scripting, I'm interested in
>> why people choose this approach rather than using one of the lispy
>> dialects that have been specifically designed for this type of purpose.
>> I'm thinking of things like guile, lush, rep etc.
>
> I cannot see "appeal" of Commune-Lisp for anything.

Fine, I didn't ask if you liked it or not. I asked those who do why
they chose it rather than one of the other lisp dialects. I'm not
interested in your unoriginal re-hashing of uninteresting irrelevant
quotes in an attempt to either start a flame war or push your own
boring agenda.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: Tim X on
Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:44:43 +1100, Tim X wrote:
>
>> mpeever <mpeever(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've been experimenting with CL scripting for about a year now. We've
>>> got a significant amount of SBCL code working in our Legato Networker
>>> environment. We've started small, but so far we're really happy with
>>> it. I'm currently considering the benefits of replacing some
>>> significant Perl processes in CL. There are some pending changes that
>>> are much more daunting in Perl than CL.
>>>
>>> We wrote a quick-and-dirty toolkit to clean up some of the OS
>>> interfacing: we've more or less tried to imitate Perl's operators. Our
>>> toolkit appears to work on SBCL, CCL, and ECL. Making it support
>>> multiple implementations was important, as we're still very much in
>>> pilot mode: we may yet have to make some drastic changes and we need to
>>> be able to move quickly.
>>>
>>> We've been taking advantage of the core-dump facilities in CL
>>> implementations for code roll-outs. It makes updates and changes very
>>> simple, especially once we hit a critical mass point.
>>>
>>> I'm very interested to hear about your experiences.
>>
>> While I can see the appeal of using CL for scripting, I'm interested in
>> why people choose this approach rather than using one of the lispy
>> dialects that have been specifically designed for this type of purpose.
>> I'm thinking of things like guile, lush, rep etc.
>
> For me, it takes a lot of time to learn all the nooks and crannies of
> a language, and doing this for the occasional script doesn't justify
> the investment. Maybe all those dialects are "lispy", but they have
> different names for standard functions, slightly different semantic
> conventions, etc, all of which would lead to minor annoyances. So I
> chose to roll the thing in CL, and I was pleased, it took very little
> time. I will continue to do these things in the future.
>
> Tamas
>
> BTW, lush sucks bigtime, eg it doesn't have lexical scoping. I tried the
> it a while ago and it was a major disappointment.

thanks Tamas. I'm interested as I'd prefer to write scripts in a more
lisp like environment. I've been debating which direction to go. To be
honest, I've been leaning towards using guile over common lisp as it
seems a bit more suited to the types of things I often need to do in a
script, is more commonly found already installed on GNU Linux based
systems and possibly is a little 'lighter' than many of the CL
implementations.

Lush was another one I was wondering about. Lack of lexical scoping is
possibly an issue, not sure. need to give it some thought. Would
certainly be an issue for anything larger/complex, but possibly not a
big issue for many smaller tasks.

What I really want is something fairly light-weight that I can use to do
fairly simple scripts in. While shell, perl etc all work fine - I'm
interested to see what benefits there may be in not having to switch
between different paradigms as much.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au