From: Fan924 on
How do I search text files for a certain word using a macro. I need to
look for the word "SerialNo" and return the following 10 characters. I
will be repeating this for hundreds of files. For now, how do I do it
for a single file. Excel 97
From: Mishell on
f = "c:\test.txt"
filenumber = FreeFile
Open f For Input As filenumber
a = Input(FileLen(f), filenumber)
Close filenumber

LookFor = LCase("SerialNo")
b = InStr(LCase(a), LookFor)
If b > 0 Then
MsgBox Mid(a, b + Len(LookFor), 10)
End If

Mishell

"Fan924" <a924fan(a)yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
2abad4b9-506a-430f-be21-6e18dae03752(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

From: Fan924 on
What am I doing wrong?
I am getting
run time error 62, input past end of file
for line "a = Input(FileLen(f), filenumber)"

File is 32k in size and is not a text file.
It only works when I use file size of about 500.
Sub LookForNo()
Dim a As String
Dim f As String
Dim filenumber As String
f = "C:\My Documents\79.bak"
filenumber = FreeFile
Open f For Input As filenumber
'a = Input(500, filenumber)
a = Input(FileLen(f), filenumber)
Close filenumber
End Sub
From: joel on

You file is probably binary

Open pathname For mode [Access access] [lock] As [#]filenumber

You need to change you mode to binary in the open statement

from
Open f For Input As filenumber
Open f For Binary As filenumber

--