From: Randal L. Schwartz on

me> Hi,

me> This works great in vim, :v,^New,d
me> to delete all lines that do not begin with "New"

me> Please tell me the sed equiv so I can put it
me> into my #!/bin/sh script that I call from the
me> command line with sed -f

Wrong tool. You want grep:

grep -v '^New' <infile >outfile

<merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
From: Randal L. Schwartz on

me> Hi,

me> This works great in vim, :v,^New,d
me> to delete all lines that do not begin with "New"

me> Please tell me the sed equiv so I can put it
me> into my #!/bin/sh script that I call from the
me> command line with sed -f

Randal> Wrong tool. You want grep:

Randal> grep -v '^New' <infile >outfile

And ugh, I read it backwards. You want to *keep* "New" lines:

grep '^New' <infile >outfile

<merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Janis Papanagnou
<janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sidney Lambe wrote:
>
>> On comp.unix.shell, Janis Papanagnou
>> <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote: [delete]

>>> Hardly "almost everyone".
>>
>> The overwhelming majority, unix or linux, in my experience.
>> It's the default shell on most linux distros and at least some
>> of the unix distros.
>
> True for Linux. But you won't believe it; there's still a lot
> commercial Unixes out there with Kornshell as default and that
> don't have bash installed and the admins even not allowed to
> install that bash beast.
>

>> I think you hang out with more geeks than ordinary users :-)
>
> Probably :-)
>
> Though the geeks of my kind are typically called Dinosaurs, so
> letting the term Geeks available free for the Linux users who
> continue the crusade of Unix users against the pest and some
> such.
>
> Janis

I, for one, am sure glad you "dinosaurs" haven't gone extinct.

Linux is turning into a Windows clone (puke). I'm running an X-less
Slackware here and I like it. Screen is the best window manager
in existence.

[delete]

Sid

From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sidney Lambe wrote:
>> On comp.unix.shell, Janis Papanagnou
>> <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote: [delete]

>>> Hardly "almost everyone".
>>
>> The overwhelming majority, unix or linux, in my experience.
>> It's the default shell on most linux distros and at least
>> some of the unix distros.
>
> True for Linux. But you won't believe it; there's still a lot
> commercial Unixes out there with Kornshell as default and that
> don't have bash installed and the admins even not allowed to
> install that bash beast.
>

>> I think you hang out with more geeks than ordinary users :-)
>
> Probably :-)
>
> Though the geeks of my kind are typically called Dinosaurs, so
> letting the term Geeks available free for the Linux users who
> continue the crusade of Unix users against the pest and some such.
>
> Janis

Biggest mistake GNU made was developing emacs instead of going
with vi and using its dual mode design and keybindings with
all its utilities and apps.

Now what you have is a confusing mixture of vi apps like
screen and emacs apps like info.

[delete]

Sid

From: Arcege on
On Mar 28, 3:42 pm, Sidney Lambe <sidneyla...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On comp.unix.shell, Janis Papanagnou
>
> <janis_papanag...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Sidney Lambe wrote:
> > Though the geeks of my kind are typically called Dinosaurs, so
> > letting the term Geeks available free for the Linux users who
> > continue the crusade of Unix users against the pest and some
> > such.
>
> > Janis
>
> I, for one, am sure glad you "dinosaurs" haven't gone extinct.
>
> Linux is turning into a Windows clone (puke). I'm running an X-less
> Slackware here and I like it. Screen is the best window manager
> in existence.
>
> [delete]
>
> Sid

Here here for screen! Been using it for 20 years!

As for "Linux" turning into a Windows clone, I assume you are talking
about the evolution of user environments such as Gnome and KDE. This
is quite off topic and to get a little preachy and to slam certain
'vil corps, my philosophy is simple: anything that gets users on to
more stable, safer environments and off of crappy, proprietary,
expensive computer systems, is going to be better for the users, the
user community, the internet and quite probably the world in general.
While Mac computer hardware is closed, the OS itself is not all that
closed, it's based on OpenStep (which came from NextStep, a system I
worked with in the 80's). Getting Windoze users to migrate to at
least Macs, get them one step closer to more stable and safer
computing, even if it is still on another super-egotist's more
expensive and proprietary computer system. And that more stable,
safer computing is better for the user and for the net.

I'd prefer people to go to UNIX/Linux, but a large scale drive is not
there right now. My wife was satisfied with Linux, except for the
fact that some Windows based codecs were not available for files she
received from relatives overseas. I work in a worldwide corporation
where less than 0.1% of the personnel uses Linux/UNIX that I know of.
We manage well enough, but there are issues because we cannot view
Visio files, or have native Outlook support (an issue now with the
corporate IM service and with the calendar invites) and some of the
intranet apps still require IE6. Myself, I'm amazed that developers
can work on winblows boxes, but they manage and I cannot convince the
majority of the development or QA teams to move to Linux. I work very
well on my Ubuntu box and RedHat servers. (One past company did move
the development division completely to Linux however). But again,
developers and system analysts usually have different needs; as much
as I abhor them, developers cling to their IDEs, and most of those
IDEs these days are graphical in nature.

The first UNIX mainframes I was bought up on used ed with a real
teletype (keyboard with paper printout) and vi with the system
console. My first computer was BASIC and machine code, not assembly
code; I wrote a mouse driver using a joystick. Debugging was, and
often still is, with printf statments, not with gdb. So I can relate
to what you are say, Sid.

But there should be a 'goal' to put UNIX/Linux on more computers in
the world. And to do that, it has to be more accessible to the
users. I don't think that it means Linux has to be a Windoze clone,
just that it has to have the same capabilities in whatever form.

-Arcege