From: Simon Brunning on
2009/11/1 Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au>:

> The only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask.

I was once asked, and I quote exactly, "are there any fish in the Atlantic sea?"

That's pretty stupid. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Simon B.
From: Ethan Furman on
Simon Brunning wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au>:
>
>>The only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask.
>

> I was once asked, and I quote exactly, "are there any fish in the Atlantic sea?"
>
> That's pretty stupid. ;-)

Are there any fish in the Dead Sea?

~Ethan~
From: Rami Chowdhury on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:59:32 -0800, Ethan Furman <ethan(a)stoneleaf.us>
wrote:

> Simon Brunning wrote:
>> 2009/11/1 Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au>:
>>
>>> The only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask.
>> I was once asked, and I quote exactly, "are there any fish in the
>> Atlantic sea?"
>> That's pretty stupid. ;-)
>>

> Are there any fish in the Dead Sea?

Depends on how you define fish, surely ;-)?

--
Rami Chowdhury
"Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity" --
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:26:49 +0000, Simon Brunning wrote:

> 2009/11/1 Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au>:
>>
>> The only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask.
>
> I was once asked, and I quote exactly, "are there any fish in the
> Atlantic sea?"
>
> That's pretty stupid. ;-)

Once in the distant past, there were no fish in what would become the
Atlantic Ocean (not sea); and some day in the future there won't be any
fish either. At the rate we're going that day may not be that far away:
fish are being over-fished all over the world, jellyfish are blooming,
and there are areas of the Namibian continental where the dominant
species have flipped from fish to jellyfish:

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2009/september/jellyfish.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060711091411.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090609092057.htm

So, no, not a stupid question at all.

--
Steven
From: Ben Finney on
Simon Brunning <simon(a)brunningonline.net> writes:

> 2009/11/1 Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au>:
> >
> > The only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask.
>
> I was once asked, and I quote exactly, "are there any fish in the
> Atlantic sea?"
>
> That's pretty stupid. ;-)

Not at all. The person asking the question might be ignorant of the
facts about fishing, or the Atlantic, or marine ecosystems in that
region, etc., in which case the question is smart and wise and to the
point.

Especially compared with the alternative: not asking the question
perpetuates the ignorance.

--
\ “If I had known what it would be like to have it all... I might |
`\ have been willing to settle for less.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily |