From: rebeccax on
In a multi-user environment, what is the advantage of having a front end for
each user, rather than a single front end that they each point to?
From: Dirk Goldgar on
"rebeccax" <rphillipsmpls(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In a multi-user environment, what is the advantage of having a front end
> for
> each user, rather than a single front end that they each point to?

1. If the front-end is shared across the network, there is much greater
exposure to corruption.

2. If one user's front-end becomes damaged or corrupted, other users aren't
affected.

3. From a designer's point of view, it's possible to put user-specific
tables in the front-end.

4. Each front-end can be configured for a specific user's preferences, if
desired.

5. Updates to the front-end can be rolled out user by user, rather than
having to kick all users out.

There are probably others I cant think of at the moment.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:54:06 -0700, rebeccax <rphillipsmpls(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>In a multi-user environment, what is the advantage of having a front end for
>each user, rather than a single front end that they each point to?

The shared frontend will suffer user contention, rapid bloat, poor
performance, and a greatly increased risk of corruption; and you'll get none
of the advantages of a split database.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: rebeccax on
Dirk,

Thanks for the info. I suppose I've been lucky in that I've never had
problems with corruption. In the past I've controlled who has permission to
what with security groups and retrieving network names, etc.

If you could say more about configuring for specific user preferences I'd
appreciate it. And not having to kick all users out is a huge plus.

Regards,
Rebecca

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
rebeccax <rphillipsmpls(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>In a multi-user environment, what is the advantage of having a front end for
>each user, rather than a single front end that they each point to?

For more reasons see the "Splitting your app into a front end and back
end Tips" page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/. Although
you've already split it.

See the free Auto FE Updater utility at http://www.autofeupdater.com/
to make the distribution of new FEs relatively painless.. The
utility also supports Terminal Server/Citrix quite nicely.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP