From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-14, MRAB <python(a)mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2010-06-14, Tomasz Pajor <nikon(a)puffy.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> Why there is no setprocname function in standard library, or am I
>>> missing something?
>>
>> Dunno. Before we start guessing, would you care to explain what you
>> think "setprocname" ought to do?
>>
> I think it's to set the name of the OS process.
>
> On Windows, for example, all Python processes are called "python.exe" or
> "pythonw.exe", so if you have several running it's not clear which is
> which.

The Windows task manager won't display the entire command line, so
there's now way to know what's what? Seems like a problem in the
windows task manager to me...

I must admit that being able to use "killall" on a Python/Java/Bash
program would be handy sometimes.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is something VIOLENT
at going to happen to a
From: Roel Schroeven on
Op 2010-06-14 22:00, John Nagle schreef:
> There's a way to do this in Windows. Look in Task Manager,
> with a browser running, and the description for each Firefox
> instance will show the page being displayed.

Are you sure? I only see that on the Applications tab, which shows
window titles; not on the Processes tab which shows the actual process
names (on Windows XP).

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven
From: John Nagle on
On 6/15/2010 9:27 AM, Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Op 2010-06-14 22:00, John Nagle schreef:
>> There's a way to do this in Windows. Look in Task Manager,
>> with a browser running, and the description for each Firefox
>> instance will show the page being displayed.
>
> Are you sure? I only see that on the Applications tab, which shows
> window titles; not on the Processes tab which shows the actual process
> names (on Windows XP).

True; on Windows, only the window title is changeable.

John Nagle