From: ontherails on

>Does anyone have experience with speed control of a small shaded pole
>motor about 25W, with a ghastly PF of about 0.36 ?.
>
> This drives the water circulation pump in an experimental setup much too
>hard, and the churning
>measurably heats the water.
>
>I thought a variable frequency inverter might be nice, but wondered how
>sinusoidal it would need to be. I doubt that a simple phase shift let-it-
>slip-more controller, would be good enough. Works for fans up to a point.
>
>Rather than suck it and see, I thought I'd politely probe the brains of
>the experts first.
>
>All the best
>Ian Macmillan

Use my variable inductance controller. Carry out this simple experiment to
see how it works. Get a 100VA transformer, something like 240V to 40V. Put
the 240V windings in series with the motor and connect to the mains -
nothing happens. Short the 40V windings - motor runs at nearly full speed
but you are still working with AC.

Put a bridge rectifier on the 40V windings and short the DC output. Motor
runs at nearly the full speed it did before but now you are working with
DC. Put a transistor (I normally use a darlington - TIP121 for a 40V
secondary and add simple control electronics. You can normally get up to
about 90% full speed.

Approximately 10% losses occur in the transformer, bridge rectifier and
darlington. This could be reduced by using a higher voltage secondary and a
MOSFET when the losses could be 5% or lower. The control electronics side
is isolated by the transformer so you are working with low voltage DC.

Have fun experimenting but beware of the 240V on the transformer.
Peter

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.Electronics-Related.com
From: Martin Riddle on

"ontherails" <peter.elbro(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>Does anyone have experience with speed control of a small shaded pole
>>motor about 25W, with a ghastly PF of about 0.36 ?.
>>
>> This drives the water circulation pump in an experimental setup much
>> too
>>hard, and the churning
>>measurably heats the water.
>>
>>I thought a variable frequency inverter might be nice, but wondered
>>how
>>sinusoidal it would need to be. I doubt that a simple phase shift
>>let-it-
>>slip-more controller, would be good enough. Works for fans up to a
>>point.
>>
>>Rather than suck it and see, I thought I'd politely probe the brains
>>of
>>the experts first.
>>
>>All the best
>>Ian Macmillan
>>

> Use my variable inductance controller. Carry out this simple
> experiment to
> see how it works. Get a 100VA transformer, something like 240V to 40V.
> Put
> the 240V windings in series with the motor and connect to the mains -
> nothing happens. Short the 40V windings - motor runs at nearly full
> speed
> but you are still working with AC.
>
> Put a bridge rectifier on the 40V windings and short the DC output.
> Motor
> runs at nearly the full speed it did before but now you are working
> with
> DC. Put a transistor (I normally use a darlington - TIP121 for a 40V
> secondary and add simple control electronics. You can normally get up
> about 90% full speed.
>
> Approximately 10% losses occur in the transformer, bridge rectifier
> and
> darlington. This could be reduced by using a higher voltage secondary
> and a
> MOSFET when the losses could be 5% or lower. The control electronics
> side
> is isolated by the transformer so you are working with low voltage DC.
>
> Have fun experimenting but beware of the 240V on the transformer.
> Peter

Shaded pole motors need variable voltage to control their speed, Buck
the voltage as described above.

Cheers

From: Artemus on

>Does anyone have experience with speed control of a small shaded pole
>motor about 25W, with a ghastly PF of about 0.36 ?.
>
> This drives the water circulation pump in an experimental setup much too
>hard, and the churning
>measurably heats the water.
>
>I thought a variable frequency inverter might be nice, but wondered how
>sinusoidal it would need to be. I doubt that a simple phase shift let-it-
>slip-more controller, would be good enough. Works for fans up to a point.
>
>Rather than suck it and see, I thought I'd politely probe the brains of
>the experts first.
>
>All the best
>Ian Macmillan

If you don't care about efficiency and don't need variable speed
a power resistor in series with the motor is the simplest solution.
Experiment with a variac to see what voltage you need on the
motor and determine the ohms needed. Or just leave the variac
in place.
Art

From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:00:03 -0500, "ontherails"
<peter.elbro(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.btinternet.com> wrote:

>>Does anyone have experience with speed control of a small shaded pole
>>motor about 25W, with a ghastly PF of about 0.36 ?.
>>
>> This drives the water circulation pump in an experimental setup much too
>>hard, and the churning
>>measurably heats the water.
>>
>>I thought a variable frequency inverter might be nice, but wondered how
>>sinusoidal it would need to be. I doubt that a simple phase shift let-it-
>>slip-more controller, would be good enough. Works for fans up to a point.
>>
>>Rather than suck it and see, I thought I'd politely probe the brains of
>>the experts first.
>>
>>All the best
>>Ian Macmillan
>>

>Use my variable inductance controller. Carry out this simple experiment to
>see how it works. Get a 100VA transformer, something like 240V to 40V. Put
>the 240V windings in series with the motor and connect to the mains -
>nothing happens. Short the 40V windings - motor runs at nearly full speed
>but you are still working with AC.
>
>Put a bridge rectifier on the 40V windings and short the DC output. Motor
>runs at nearly the full speed it did before but now you are working with
>DC. Put a transistor (I normally use a darlington - TIP121 for a 40V
>secondary and add simple control electronics. You can normally get up to
>about 90% full speed.
>
>Approximately 10% losses occur in the transformer, bridge rectifier and
>darlington. This could be reduced by using a higher voltage secondary and a
>MOSFET when the losses could be 5% or lower. The control electronics side
>is isolated by the transformer so you are working with low voltage DC.
>
>Have fun experimenting but beware of the 240V on the transformer.
>Peter
>

>---------------------------------------
>Posted through http://www.Electronics-Related.com

Interesting! What kind of (stable) speed range can you get?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.
From: JosephKK on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:00:03 -0500, "ontherails"
<peter.elbro(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.btinternet.com> wrote:

>>Does anyone have experience with speed control of a small shaded pole
>>motor about 25W, with a ghastly PF of about 0.36 ?.
>>
>> This drives the water circulation pump in an experimental setup much too
>>hard, and the churning
>>measurably heats the water.
>>
>>I thought a variable frequency inverter might be nice, but wondered how
>>sinusoidal it would need to be. I doubt that a simple phase shift let-it-
>>slip-more controller, would be good enough. Works for fans up to a point.
>>
>>Rather than suck it and see, I thought I'd politely probe the brains of
>>the experts first.
>>
>>All the best
>>Ian Macmillan
>>

>Use my variable inductance controller. Carry out this simple experiment to
>see how it works. Get a 100VA transformer, something like 240V to 40V. Put
>the 240V windings in series with the motor and connect to the mains -
>nothing happens. Short the 40V windings - motor runs at nearly full speed
>but you are still working with AC.
>
>Put a bridge rectifier on the 40V windings and short the DC output. Motor
>runs at nearly the full speed it did before but now you are working with
>DC. Put a transistor (I normally use a darlington - TIP121 for a 40V
>secondary and add simple control electronics. You can normally get up to
>about 90% full speed.
>
>Approximately 10% losses occur in the transformer, bridge rectifier and
>darlington. This could be reduced by using a higher voltage secondary and a
>MOSFET when the losses could be 5% or lower. The control electronics side
>is isolated by the transformer so you are working with low voltage DC.
>
>Have fun experimenting but beware of the 240V on the transformer.
>Peter

Gosh that is only about 40 years old. Over 75 if you count tubes.