From: Ben Bacarisse on
kaushal <kaushalshriyan(a)gmail.com> writes:
<snip>
> I did update-rc.d resque start 98 2 3 4 5 . stop 02 0 1 6 . on Ubuntu
> Hardy 8.04 Server,it did not worked.

Was there any error message? What links do you currently have?
I.e. what does

ls -l /etc/{init,rc?}.d/*resque

say?

--
Ben.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn writes:
>> kaushal wrote:
>>
>> All available Debian and Ubuntu documentation suggests that you are dead
>> wrong, and that these documentation comments are nothing more than
>> comments (that help admins to restore the defaults *manually* when
>> necessary).
>
> Not "all" as far as I can see. The installed man page I have has:
>
> update-rc.d has two modes of operation for installing scripts into the
> boot sequence. A legacy mode where command line arguments are used to
> decide the sequence and runlevel configuration, and the default mode
> where dependency and runlevel information in the init.d script LSB
> comment header is used instead. Such header is required to be present
> in init.d scripts. See the insserv(8) manual page for details about
> the LSB header format.
>
> It seems that the comments are more than pure documentation.

Interesting, thanks. Since my Debian manpage does not have this paragraph,
I presume Debian and Ubuntu (which version?) differ here. Ubuntu's update-
rc.d is probably newer or from a different package. What is the date of
your Ubuntu manpage?

My Debian's has caption (at the top) "sysv-rc" and is dated (at the bottom)
"14 November 2005". That particular package (sysv-rc) was still from
"stable" (Lenny); I see now that Debian testing (Squeeze) and unstable (Sid)
would replace sysv-rc with file-rc, and symlinks with /etc/runlevel.conf,
but still provide /usr/sbin/update-rc.d for compatibility. This might be
relevant to the OP's problem in Ubuntu as well.

>> Instead, from the (Debian) update-rc.d(8) manpage:
>>
>> | If `defaults' is used then update-rc.d will make links to start the
>> | ser‐
>> | vice in runlevels 2345 and to stop the service in runlevels
>> | 016. [...]
>
> Yes, I was wrong about the action of the "defaults" argument. Since
> this is what the OP apparently used, my remarks were useless or worse.

ACK

Regards,

PointedEars
From: Ben Bacarisse on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> writes:

> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
<snip>
>> [...] The installed man page I have has:
>>
>> update-rc.d has two modes of operation for installing scripts into the
>> boot sequence. A legacy mode where command line arguments are used to
>> decide the sequence and runlevel configuration, and the default mode
>> where dependency and runlevel information in the init.d script LSB
>> comment header is used instead. Such header is required to be present
>> in init.d scripts. See the insserv(8) manual page for details about
>> the LSB header format.
<snip>
> Interesting, thanks. Since my Debian manpage does not have this paragraph,
> I presume Debian and Ubuntu (which version?)

10.04

> differ here. Ubuntu's update-
> rc.d is probably newer or from a different package. What is the date of
> your Ubuntu manpage?

14 November 2005.

> My Debian's has caption (at the top) "sysv-rc" and is dated (at the bottom)
> "14 November 2005".

Odd. My man page also captioned sysv-rc and dated the same as yours.
Maybe someone forgot to change the date.

From update-rc.d.8.gz:

..\" Hey, Emacs! This is an -*- nroff -*- source file.
..\" Authors: Ian Jackson, Miquel van Smoorenburg
..TH "UPDATE\-RC.D" "8" "14 November 2005" "Debian Project" "sysv-rc"
..SH "NAME"
update\-rc.d \- install and remove System\-V style init script links
[...etc]

<snip>
--
Ben.