From: Bockhamptoner on
I think I have seen an example where you have 2 seperate pieces of
information in a single cell.
I run a hockey team and use excell to track players and who is available for
matches and then who's played....really basic stuff. But I would like to also
record in the cell if anyone scored and if so how many.
So if I could have my 'ideal world' my cell would containg a 'P' so I know
who played but it would have a diagonal line across the corner and small
number in the triangle....... possible? or ludicrous?
If I were to really get 'everything' I could also choose to tally up the
triangle numbers in a totals column at the end of the year.....daring I know
:)

I've avoiding the obvious....well just type P or P1 or P2 etc because I
couldn't find a way to tally them.

Thanks,
From: Dave Peterson on
You may be able to fiddle with a diagonal border and alt-enters (and space
characters) to make it look nice.

But don't do it. You're going to find that this makes any calculation much more
difficult.

Just use two cells.

You'll be happier in the long run.

--

Dave Peterson
From: JLatham on
I second the Dave Peterson Solution. Use 2 cells. When you consider that
you're going to be putting a single letter into 1 column and mostly only 1
digit into the other column (or you have a world class hockey player on board
and need to enter 2 digits), then the total width of the 2 would probably be
no more than if you managed to futz around with a diagonal line and figure
out how to reliably get P over on the left edge and a digit or two over at
the right edge.

Basically you cannot physically split a single cell into two -- it would
then become 2 columns. And as you noted, by having the P and the score in a
single cell really creates a headache when it comes time to figure out total
points scored by anyone at all.