From: danish on
hello everyone....

i know sm-client startup problems have been asked a lot in this group
and i also did a lot of reading though this group which gave me a lot
of hints as to whats going..but still being a newbie ima bit hesitant
doing all this without anyones help..so here i go..

i have fedora 3 installed and sendmail-8.13.1-2.....

when i restart send mail it gives me the following errors
# /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
Shutting down sendmail: [ OK ]
Shutting down sm-client: [FAILED]
Starting sendmail: [ OK ]
Starting sm-client: [ OK ]

from /var/log/maillog i found out that sendmail[5616]: unable to write
pid to /var/run/sendmail.pid: Permission denied

can anyone plz advise on what i have to do to correct it out

thanks,
Danish

From: danish on
danish wrote:
> hello everyone....
>
> i know sm-client startup problems have been asked a lot in this group
> and i also did a lot of reading though this group which gave me a lot
> of hints as to whats going..but still being a newbie ima bit hesitant
> doing all this without anyones help..so here i go..
>
> i have fedora 3 installed and sendmail-8.13.1-2.....
>
> when i restart send mail it gives me the following errors
> # /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
> Shutting down sendmail: [ OK ]
> Shutting down sm-client: [FAILED]
> Starting sendmail: [ OK ]
> Starting sm-client: [ OK ]
>
> from /var/log/maillog i found out that sendmail[5616]: unable to write
> pid to /var/run/sendmail.pid: Permission denied
>

> can anyone plz advise on what i have to do to correct it out
>
> thanks,
> Danish

adding to the earlier information...

i created a sendmail.pid file in /var/run/ by doing vi...and also
removed sm-client.pid..rm -f sm-client...and then did a restart
the sendmail.pid file was removed automatically...also
doing ls -l on /run gave me
....drwxr-xr-x 15 apache apache 4096 Mar 11 12:33 run

and ls -l /var/run/sm-client.pid gave me...
.... -rw-r--r-- 1 smmsp smmsp 50 Mar 11 12:33 sm-client.pid

From: base60 on
danish wrote:
> hello everyone....
>
> i know sm-client startup problems have been asked a lot in this group
> and i also did a lot of reading though this group which gave me a lot
> of hints as to whats going..but still being a newbie ima bit hesitant
> doing all this without anyones help..so here i go..
>
> i have fedora 3 installed and sendmail-8.13.1-2.....
>
> when i restart send mail it gives me the following errors
> # /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
> Shutting down sendmail: [ OK ]
> Shutting down sm-client: [FAILED]
> Starting sendmail: [ OK ]
> Starting sm-client: [ OK ]
>
> from /var/log/maillog i found out that sendmail[5616]: unable to write
> pid to /var/run/sendmail.pid: Permission denied
>
> can anyone plz advise on what i have to do to correct it out
>
> thanks,
> Danish

Pretty much self-explanatory: check the permissions on /var/run and
look at the ID your trying to write into it with.

If there is a mismatch, consider relocation of the PID file or your
setup.
From: danish on

base60 wrote:
> danish wrote:
> > hello everyone....
> >
> > i know sm-client startup problems have been asked a lot in this group
> > and i also did a lot of reading though this group which gave me a lot
> > of hints as to whats going..but still being a newbie ima bit hesitant
> > doing all this without anyones help..so here i go..
> >
> > i have fedora 3 installed and sendmail-8.13.1-2.....
> >
> > when i restart send mail it gives me the following errors
> > # /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
> > Shutting down sendmail: [ OK ]
> > Shutting down sm-client: [FAILED]
> > Starting sendmail: [ OK ]
> > Starting sm-client: [ OK ]
> >
> > from /var/log/maillog i found out that sendmail[5616]: unable to write
> > pid to /var/run/sendmail.pid: Permission denied
> >
> > can anyone plz advise on what i have to do to correct it out
> >
> > thanks,
> > Danish
> >

> Pretty much self-explanatory: check the permissions on /var/run and
> look at the ID your trying to write into it with.
>
> If there is a mismatch, consider relocation of the PID file or your
> setup.

Yes thank you..it was a problem of permissions...thank you

Danish