From: Greg Russell on
I'm in the market for a small, wireless Linux "laptop" or "netbook" that
uses a current, upgradeable distro.

Does anyone have actual experience with any such devices that you'd
recommend, please?
From: ray on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:40:45 +0000, Greg Russell wrote:

> I'm in the market for a small, wireless Linux "laptop" or "netbook" that
> uses a current, upgradeable distro.
>
> Does anyone have actual experience with any such devices that you'd
> recommend, please?

You may play hell getting one with a "current, upgradeable distro" that
you can stand. Got one a year and a half ago for the wife - Asus eeepc
from bestbuy online. It came with a brain damaged xandros. So I did a
network install of Debian based on the Debian eeepc wiki. Works fine.
From: mjt on
Greg Russell <me(a)invalid.com> wrote:

> I'm in the market for a small, wireless Linux "laptop" or "netbook"
> that uses a current, upgradeable distro.
>
> Does anyone have actual experience with any such devices that you'd
> recommend, please?

Best bet is to choose a distro you're happy with, then check:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html
http://tuxmobil.org/

--
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:40:45 +0000, Greg Russell wrote:

> I'm in the market for a small, wireless Linux "laptop" or "netbook" that
> uses a current, upgradeable distro.
>
> Does anyone have actual experience with any such devices that you'd
> recommend, please?

Dell has Linux laptops and netbooks with Ubuntu. If you end up buying a
Windows laptop or netbook make sure that it has Intel WiFI and non-Intel
graphics. This link below explains the disaster that's happened with
graphics in Intel chipsets recently,

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODQxOA
From: Allodoxaphobia on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:40:45 +0000, Greg Russell wrote:
> I'm in the market for a small, wireless Linux "laptop" or "netbook"
> that uses a current, upgradeable distro.
>
> Does anyone have actual experience with any such devices that you'd
> recommend, please?

http://zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16216

Have owned one since December last year. I'm happy with it.
The folks there are pleasant to deal with.

Can be ordered with a variety of linux distros, or with no OS at all.
One of the case color options is "legacy ubuntu" (i.e., pre-10.x.)

I see they have a "Teo Netbook" now, too.

They offer a number of laptops, as well.

They do *NOT* offer any Redmond OS -- just a "No Operating System"
option - which is the better choice, anyway.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux