From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* JunkYardMail1(a)Verizon.net <JunkYardMail1(a)Verizon.net>:
> Yes it does cause a problem.
> It does not indicate the stage the rejection is associated with
> (CONNECT, HELO, FROM, RCPT, etc.).

The rejection always happens at the RCPT TO stage in those cases.
Thus it's called "smtpd_delay_reject".

Back in the dawn of Postfix I had this problem that a mailserver would
not accept a arejection at a prior stage. Thus it came back over and
over again. To be rejected over and over again.
Thus smtpd_delay_reject had been introduced, delaying the reject to
the RCPT TO: stage NOT MATTER what would have caused the rejection at
an earlier stage.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

From: Michael Orlitzky on
On 08/10/2010 04:46 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * JunkYardMail1(a)Verizon.net<JunkYardMail1(a)Verizon.net>:
>> Yes it does cause a problem.
>> It does not indicate the stage the rejection is associated with
>> (CONNECT, HELO, FROM, RCPT, etc.).
>
> The rejection always happens at the RCPT TO stage in those cases.
> Thus it's called "smtpd_delay_reject".
>
> Back in the dawn of Postfix I had this problem that a mailserver would
> not accept a arejection at a prior stage. Thus it came back over and
> over again. To be rejected over and over again.
> Thus smtpd_delay_reject had been introduced, delaying the reject to
> the RCPT TO: stage NOT MATTER what would have caused the rejection at
> an earlier stage.

I think he just wants to know which smtpd restrictions list contains the
rule that caused the rejection.

An almost-answer: each reject_foo rule has a certain log format which,
once learned, will give you a pretty good idea about the rule that
caused the rejection. You still have to look up which restrictions list
contains that rule, though.

From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* Michael Orlitzky <michael(a)orlitzky.com>:

> I think he just wants to know which smtpd restrictions list contains
> the rule that caused the rejection.

Could be.

> An almost-answer: each reject_foo rule has a certain log format
> which, once learned, will give you a pretty good idea about the rule
> that caused the rejection.

Yes indeed.

> You still have to look up which restrictions list contains that rule,
> though.

Yes, there could be different check_sender_access rules - even without
smtpd_delay_reject it would be hard to see WHICH ONE fired.

They way I do this is to look at the log and play through the
restrictions in my head (does it come from mynetwork? no! Next
restriction etc.)

From: Wolfgang Zeikat on
In an older episode, on 2010-08-10 23:06, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

>> You still have to look up which restrictions list contains that rule,
>> though.
>
> Yes, there could be different check_sender_access rules - even without
> smtpd_delay_reject it would be hard to see WHICH ONE fired.
>
> They way I do this is to look at the log and play through the
> restrictions in my head (does it come from mynetwork? no! Next
> restriction etc.)

postmap -q
can also be quite helpful ...

From: JunkYardMail1 on
"I think he just wants to know which smtpd restrictions list contains the
rule that caused the rejection."

Correct.