From: "Patrick H." on
I was attempting to set soft_bounce=yes on the smtpd service in
master.cf only to find that it didnt work. This was unexpected as the
man pages indicate otherwise. 'man 8 smtpd' lists soft_bounce under
'trouble shooting controls'. But I've found that instead it works when
placed on the 'smtp' service in master.cf (or in main.cf). My question
is why? I mean it makes sense as its a delivery option, but still the
mange pages indicate its an option of smtpd and the smtp man page
mentions nothing about it.
From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 07:00:56PM -0600, Patrick H. wrote:

> I was attempting to set soft_bounce=yes on the smtpd service in master.cf
> only to find that it didnt work. This was unexpected as the man pages
> indicate otherwise. 'man 8 smtpd' lists soft_bounce under 'trouble shooting
> controls'. But I've found that instead it works when placed on the 'smtp'
> service in master.cf (or in main.cf). My question is why? I mean it makes
> sense as its a delivery option, but still the mange pages indicate its an
> option of smtpd and the smtp man page mentions nothing about it.

Both services implement the option.

In the SMTP server, it causes 5XX replies TO SMTP CLIENTS to be
downgraded to 4XX. This is a safety net for server configuration errors.

In the SMTP client, it causes 5XX responses FROM SMTP SERVERS to be
treated as 4XX responses. This is a safety-net for client or transport
configuration errors.

--
Viktor.

Pages: 1