From: gship on
I had a bad virus and had to resort to system recovery. I have been updating
since then, and have done fine till I tried to install sp3.
I am running McAfee, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes, but have tried
disabling all and installing sp3 and get the same result.
--
gship

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Had IE7 or IE8 been installed before you did the "system recovery"?

Was the "system recovery" a Repair Install or did you format the HDD & then
do clean install?

[If all of your data (e.g., the contents of My Documents folder) and
third-party application (e.g., S*PERAntiSpyware) were preserved, you did a
Repair Install.]

Did a McAfee or Norton free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it?

From: gship on
IE8 had been installed before the Repair Install. All of My Documents, ect.
were preserved, but not all third party applications were. As I recall, a
Norton trial version originally came with the computer as well as Webroot Spy
Sweeper and Trend Antivirus, but I uninstalled them a couple of years ago.
--
gship

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See...

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Your *only* recourse now is to back-up your data, format the HDD & then do a
clean install of WinXP. Details available on request.

From: gship on
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it went when I get finished!
--
gship