From: Simon Whale on
Not sure of the best way to approach this so I thought i'd seek help

I have been asked to split a contact name column in a database to its
corresponding parts

Title
Firstname / forename
Surname
Letters after name e.g. BSc

and Joe, its not my database so I can do without the usual 1FN / bad designs
lecture please, i've just been asked to do the work.

Im not sure if its best done in dot net or SQL?

Thanks
Simon

From: Bob Barrows on
Simon Whale wrote:
> Not sure of the best way to approach this so I thought i'd seek help
>
> I have been asked to split a contact name column in a database to its
> corresponding parts
>
> Title
> Firstname / forename
> Surname
> Letters after name e.g. BSc
>
> and Joe, its not my database so I can do without the usual 1FN / bad
> designs lecture please, i've just been asked to do the work.
>
> Im not sure if its best done in dot net or SQL?

Probably both, followed by a person going through the results and making
sure the names have been parsed correctly. There are too many exceptions
to expect an algorithm to split these names perfectly. You can of course
use the string functions in T-SQL and dotnet to make a start, but
someone is going to have to check the results.

A google search for t-sql parsing names should get you started.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Simon Whale on
Thanks Bob,

i'll update how i get on during the week

Simon

From: --CELKO-- on
Look at Mellisa Data and other companies that handle mailing lists.
They can split the names, give you likely gender, likely ethncity,
etc. Why re-invent tte wheel when you can get a 30-day test drive?