From: ankitks on
Folks,
I am trying to setup X11 base working environment on my macbook (at
home). What I am trying to do is to login to my work unix machine, run
commands, bring up GUI's (on my macbook). I was told that SSH port
forwarding is best for this. (I am unix VNC, and it works great, but
problem is I end up using mouse lot; cant' easily switch between
windows on KDE..and on mac I can use all shortcuts to navigate
faster).

So here is what I have:
work machine: name.company.com (I use hostname to find out; not sure
how to get ip or full name, I am just assuming that domain is
company.com)

At home:
I have macbook.

I tried 'ssh name.company.com'; and it didn't work, so I am amusing
that I need port forwarding with SSH. I am naive here. Also how about
xhost and setting DISPLAY variable, do I have to worry about that
also, since I will be bring remote GUI's on my macbook.
From: pk on
ankitks wrote:

> Folks,
> I am trying to setup X11 base working environment on my macbook (at
> home). What I am trying to do is to login to my work unix machine, run
> commands, bring up GUI's (on my macbook). I was told that SSH port
> forwarding is best for this. (I am unix VNC, and it works great, but
> problem is I end up using mouse lot; cant' easily switch between
> windows on KDE..and on mac I can use all shortcuts to navigate
> faster).
>
> So here is what I have:
> work machine: name.company.com (I use hostname to find out; not sure
> how to get ip or full name, I am just assuming that domain is
> company.com)
>
> At home:
> I have macbook.
>
> I tried 'ssh name.company.com'; and it didn't work, so I am amusing
> that I need port forwarding with SSH. I am naive here. Also how about
> xhost and setting DISPLAY variable, do I have to worry about that
> also, since I will be bring remote GUI's on my macbook.

Try

ssh -X -Y user(a)name.company.com

and make sure that the remote sshd_config has ForwardX11 and
ForwardX11Trusted enabled.

From: ankitks on
On Jul 6, 10:46 am, pk <p...(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
> ankitks wrote:
> > Folks,
> > I am trying to setup X11 base working environment on my macbook (at
> > home). What I am trying to do is to login to my work unix machine, run
> > commands, bring up GUI's (on my macbook).  I was told that SSH port
> > forwarding is best for this. (I am unix VNC, and it works great, but
> > problem is I end up using mouse lot; cant' easily switch between
> > windows on KDE..and on mac I can use all shortcuts to navigate
> > faster).
>
> > So here is what I have:
> > work machine: name.company.com (I use hostname to find out; not sure
> > how to get ip or full name, I am just assuming that domain is
> > company.com)
>
> > At home:
> > I have macbook.
>
> > I tried 'ssh name.company.com'; and it didn't work, so I am amusing
> > that I need port forwarding with SSH. I am naive here. Also how about
> > xhost and setting DISPLAY variable, do I have to worry about that
> > also, since I will be bring remote GUI's on my macbook.
>
> Try
>
> ssh -X -Y u...(a)name.company.com
>
> and make sure that the remote sshd_config has ForwardX11 and
> ForwardX11Trusted enabled.

Hi PK,
Thanks for feedback
I am not tying to view remote display. What I am really interested is
just plain termial.
I can launch commands like: ls or eclipe or acrobat. But with GUI base
scripts/programms, I want them to open on my macbook, not on remote
work machine.

Thanks,
Ankit
From: pk on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:52:55 -0700 (PDT) ankitks <ankitks.mital(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Try
> >
> > ssh -X -Y u...(a)name.company.com
> >
> > and make sure that the remote sshd_config has ForwardX11 and
> > ForwardX11Trusted enabled.
>
> Hi PK,
> Thanks for feedback
> I am not tying to view remote display. What I am really interested is
> just plain termial.
> I can launch commands like: ls or eclipe or acrobat. But with GUI base
> scripts/programms, I want them to open on my macbook, not on remote
> work machine.

Yes, that's exactly what -X/-Y are for.
From: ankitks on
On Jul 6, 12:09 pm, pk <p...(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:52:55 -0700 (PDT) ankitks <ankitks.mi...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > Try
>
> > > ssh -X -Y u...(a)name.company.com
>
> > > and make sure that the remote sshd_config has ForwardX11 and
> > > ForwardX11Trusted enabled.
>
> > Hi PK,
> > Thanks for feedback
> > I am not tying to view remote display. What I am really interested is
> > just plain termial.
> > I can launch commands like: ls or eclipe or acrobat. But with GUI base
> > scripts/programms, I want them to open on my macbook, not on remote
> > work machine.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what -X/-Y are for.

Opps..don't have permissions to modify sshd_config in /etc/ssh/