From: Frank Mori Hess on
On Friday 14 May 2010, Greg KH wrote:
> Wow. Is this something that we really want? That's a lot of new
> Kconfig options, and while it seems like it makes sense, I would like to
> get the comedi developers opinion here.

It doesn't matter to me how granular the Kconfig stuff is. Personally, the
only thing I tend to do is disable are the pcmcia drivers as a group on
desktop machines. Also, I noticed in the patch it includes the 8255
module as part of the PCI and ISA groups, but not PCMCIA. But it is used
by some of the PCMCIA drivers as well.

From: Frank Mori Hess on
On Saturday 15 May 2010, Alexander Kurz wrote:
> Hm, I cannot see a build-dependancy from any of the PCMCIA-Modules
> to 8255.c. All PCMCIA-modules do build and load fine without compiling
> 8255.c. There is a dependancy from das08_cs (PCMCIA) to das08 (ISA) via
> config COMEDI_DAS08_CS select COMEDI_DAS08.
> This will lead to a hidden select of COMEDI_DAS08 when
> COMEDI_ISA_DRIVERS is not enabled.
> Is there something that I have missed?

All the drivers that include 8255.h depend on the 8255 module. They still
compile without it because 8255.h provides stubs that automatically drop
support for the 8255 chips from the other drivers if the 8255 module is
not selected. IMO, the stubs are not particularly valuable and with the
fine-grained driver selection will just result in confused users with
reduced functionality drivers.