From: Greg KH on
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 05:31:51PM +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:
> From: Hank Janssen <hjanssen(a)microsoft.com>
>
> Fixed bounce offset kmap problem by using correct index

Is this a bugfix that needs to go to previous kernel releases? If so,
which ones? What is the symptom of the problem here?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Hank Janssen on

And then Greg spoke:
>>On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 05:31:51PM +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:
>> From: Hank Janssen <hjanssen(a)microsoft.com>
>>
> >Fixed bounce offset kmap problem by using correct index
>
>Is this a bugfix that needs to go to previous kernel releases? If so, which ones? What is the symptom of the problem here?

Yes, this should be backported to all stable kernel releases that have the Hyper-V drivers In them.

The symptom of the problem is that in some NAS appliances this problem represents
Itself by a unresponsive VM under a load with many clients writing small files.

I actually goofed up in my previous code and used an incorrect index number
For this part of the code. It should have shown up in more situations than what
I have seen oddly enough.

Hank.

From: Greg KH on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 04:35:06AM +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:

> And then Greg spoke:
> >>On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 05:31:51PM +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:
> >> From: Hank Janssen <hjanssen(a)microsoft.com>
> >>
> > >Fixed bounce offset kmap problem by using correct index
> >
> >Is this a bugfix that needs to go to previous kernel releases? If so, which ones? What is the symptom of the problem here?
>
> Yes, this should be backported to all stable kernel releases that have the Hyper-V drivers In them.
>
> The symptom of the problem is that in some NAS appliances this problem represents
> Itself by a unresponsive VM under a load with many clients writing small files.
>
> I actually goofed up in my previous code and used an incorrect index number
> For this part of the code. It should have shown up in more situations than what
> I have seen oddly enough.

Please provide this type of information in the changelog section.

If you want something backported to older stable kernels, add a:
Cc: stable <stable(a)kernel.org>
to the signed-off-by area of the patch and it will be automatically sent
to the stable alias when it gets included in Linus's tree so I know to
pick it up then.

Care to resend all of these patches based on these comments?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Hank Janssen on

>And then Greg spoke:
>> And then Greg spoke:

SNIP

> > I actually goofed up in my previous code and used an incorrect index
> > number For this part of the code. It should have shown up in more
> > situations than what I have seen oddly enough.
>
>Please provide this type of information in the changelog section.
>
>If you want something backported to older stable kernels, add a:
> Cc: stable <stable(a)kernel.org>

I will re-submit all 5 patches and CC the stable mailing list on it as well.

Thanks!

Hank.

From: Greg KH on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 05:17:21PM +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:

> >And then Greg spoke:
> >> And then Greg spoke:

> SNIP
>
> > > I actually goofed up in my previous code and used an incorrect index
> > > number For this part of the code. It should have shown up in more
> > > situations than what I have seen oddly enough.
> >
> >Please provide this type of information in the changelog section.
> >
> >If you want something backported to older stable kernels, add a:
> > Cc: stable <stable(a)kernel.org>
>
> I will re-submit all 5 patches and CC the stable mailing list on it as well.

5? I see 6 of them here :)

thanks,

greg k-h